Sold for $23,000,000 at 2014 Rick Cole Auctions : Monterey. Spyder
Chassis #: 0592CM
Engine #: 0592CM
Ferrari built four examples of their 410 Sports cars for the grueling Carrera Panamericana road race in Mexico. The Ferrari 410S CM (Carrera Messicana) was developed for the Carrera Panamericana in Mexico from the 1954 24 Hours of Le Mans winning 375 Plus. The race covered an extreme distance of 2,096 miles.
The 410 S was given an all-new Tipo 519C chassis which was based on the elliptical tube frame of the 375 Plus, but lowering the center of gravity, widening the track and moving the engine further back in the chassis. Power was from the F1-proven, 60-degree long-block Lampredi V12 engine with the bore and stroke increased to 4962cc. The engine has a single overhead camshaft per bank, two valves per cylinder, and a single spark plug per cylinder. The fuel was delivered through three Weber 42 DCZ/3 carburetors. Lubrication was by dry sump. Peak power with 8.5:1 compression was 380 hp.
This vehicle, chassis number 0592CM, is powered by a tipo 126 V-12 engine, telaio tipo 514 with a wheelbase of 2410mm; cambio tipo 509, and rear axle tipo 509. The chassis utilized independent front suspension with unequal-length wishbones, coil springs and lever action shock absorbers. In the back was a deDion setup with twin radius arms mounted on a transverse leaf springs. The riveted aluminum fuel tank held 51 gallons, making it suitable for the long distances between stops in the Carrera Panamericana. Stopping power was provided by large, vented alloy Grand Prix drum brakes.
Ferrari built two chassis to these specifications. Only one, however (0592), was bodied in the two-seat spider configuraiton of the 410S. The other chassis was bodied by Scaglietti as a closed Berlinetta delivered to Ferrari SEFAC director Michel Paul-Cavallier in July 1955 for road use.
Ferrari halted production of the 410 S due to two significant events - the terrible crash during the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the increase number of casualties in the Carrera Panamericana. In response, the 1955 edition of the Carrera Panamerica race was cancelled.
Ferrari 410S, with chassis number 0592, never competed in the event in which it was purpose-built. Instead, this prototype 410S was sold to noted Ferrari team owner, Antonio 'Tony' Parravano, in California. In its inaugural race, it finished 1st overall, at the February Palm Springs road races driven by Carroll Shelby. For unknown reasons, 0592 was not raced again until 1957, when it competed in two races at New Smyrna, Florida driven by Eric Hauser and Bart Spiegelman.
Due to issues with the IRS, Parravano fled California for Mexico in 1957, taking a number of automobiles with him, including his 410S. The cars smuggled into Mexico were put into storage in a warehouse in Ensenada. Parravano disappeared in Mexico in 1960 and was never seen again. Parravano's family later settled with the IRS and the cars stored in Mexico were sold.
In November of 1964, chassis number 0592 competed in the 550-mile 'Costa a Costa' race across Mexico driven by Juan Buchanan.
In 1970, the car was acquired by Robert Dusek. Dusek successfully returned the car to the United States in 1971. After careful research, a comprehensive restoration was completed to an extraordinary level. The 5-liter engine was again painted in Rosso Corsa with a blue-over-white stripe, just as it was when the car raced in the U.S. for Scuderia Parravano.
The car remained in the Pennsylvania collection of Robert Dusek for nearly four decades. The 410 Sport was a featured vehicle in the 1998 Historic Ferrari Challenge and the 2000 Shell Ferrari Historic Challenge at Elkhart Lake.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
In 2008, ownership changed and the car returned to Europe and into a significant private collection. Since the acquisition, it has not driven a single mile.