The HRG was named after its designer, Halston Robinson Godfrey, who designed it after leaving the Frazer-Nash Company when their factory closed. The car was intended to be a 'gentleman racer,' which could also be used for sporting and social outings. The car cost twice the amount of the MGs and one and a half times the cost of Aston-Martins of the time, and regularly prevailed over both marques in trials and races in the 30s and 40s. In 1938 an HRG was the highest placed British car at LeMans and in both 1939 & 1949 won the 1.5-Liter class. Car production ended in 1956 after 241 cars had been made.
This example is a one-off prototype that has competed in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix on a couple of occasions. It has an aerodynamic, boat-tail body similar in design to the HRG that won the Watkins Glen Queen Catharine Cup in 1949. The car was treated to a restoration in 1999 and shown at the Grand Prix Festival of Watkins Glen in 2000 where it left with Best of Show honors.
HRG was an English maker of sports cars until 1956. These cars were intended to be 'Gentleman's Racers', and although mechanically crude, these cars were well liked by enthusiasts and successful in competition. HRGs won the 1.5-liter class at LeMans in 1939 and 1949. This car is a one-off prototype, fitted with an Offenhauser racing engine.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2008