Porsche's Gmund factory finished the first coupe in early June of 1948. It was designated as Type 356/2. Porsche manufactured only 52 examples of its first production car through 1950. An additional 11 cars were built as Super Liecht (SL) models in 1951. Erwin Kommenda's sleek body of hand hammered aluminum was assembled on a pressed steel platform chassis with box section side members. The Gmund cars used engines, transmissions and suspension elements derived from Volkswagen parts. The 1,720 pound 356/2 was capable of 87 mph using a 40 horsepower horizontally opposed flat four.
This is chassis number 17 and is one of the last surviving 356/2's built in Gmund, Austria. It retains its original body panels and motor. When Porsche Salzburg opened in late 1949, most of the aluminum car work was transferred there or Austro-Tatra GmbH in Vienna.
No auction information available for this vehicle at this time.
(Data based on Model Year 1949
Vehicles That Failed To Sell1949 Porsche 356/2 Gmund's that have appeared at auction but did not sell.
|Vehicle||Chassis||Event||High Bid||Est. Low||Est. High|
ComparablesSimilar sales to the range.
Coachbuilder: Reutter Karosserie
Chassis Num: 11742
Engine Num: KD/P-32098