This car began life as a cycled fender body on chassis #412003 and was successfully raced in the Mille Miglia in 1936 and 1937, by Farina and Meazza to a second place finish both years. The car was re-bodied at Alfa Romeo into the spider form as presented today. After its racing days were over and it was re-bodied, it was sold to Giovanni Balestrero of Genoa. It was later sold to Giobatta Barilo of San Remo.
In 1947, it showed up in Argentina. A banker, Ernesto Turnquist, bought the car and raced it in some minor events. In 1984, Dr. Fred Simeone purchased the car and brought it to the United States. Dr. Simeone had it restored where it joined his very significant and important collection.