The Tatra T77 was produced from 1934 to 1937 and was later replaced in 1937 by the T87 which would remain in production until 1948. The T87 had a body designed by Paul Jaray, a Hungarian born in Vienna. It was given an all-steel body supported by a central tube utilizing patents from Budd. In the back was an all-aluminum, air-cooled, V8 engine with overhead cams. In both the front and the back was an independent suspension setup. The top speed was 100 miles per hour.
The cars were popular with German officers of the Wermacht. However, due to the car's tendency to oversteer, many individuals were killed in accidents. The officers were later forbidden to drive them any longer.
This particular example was shipped in February 1942 to Frankfurt, Germany. The last owner was a United States Army officer. Otherwise, the history of this car is not known.
It is believed that 3,000 examples of the T87 were built and it is believed that fewer than 100 exist in modern times.