The Delahaye automobile manufacturing company was started by Emile Delahaye in 1894, in Tours, France. In 1901, the Societe des Automobiles Delahaye constructed a factory in Paris, where they continued to manufacture automobiles and trucks. In 1908, the began producing four cylinder engines, in sizes of 1.4 and 2.1 liters, as well as a 2.6-liter V6. As well, they licensed their designs to manufactures in the United States and Germany. By the end of WWI, their major income was from their truck business.
In 1934 they introduced the 12cv automobile model, with a 2.15 liter four-cylinder engine, and the 18cv automobile model powered by a 3.2-liter six, both engines derived from their successful truck engines. In 1935 the introduction of the Coupes des Alpes and the model 135 automobiles brought success to their automotive business as well, while the truck business continued to thrive.
After concentrating on the production of trucks during WW II, Delahaye were quickly back to car production in 1946, and between 1946 and 1950, the Type 135 won several races such as the GP de Frontieres and the Comminges GP.
In 1947, new cars were factory-styled by Philippe Charbonneaux. The Type 175 featured a seven, instead of the traditional four, main-bearing engine; this being a big, 4.5 liter six-cylinder. A de Dion back axle was featured and this was the first Delahaye with left-hand drive. This example is one of only 10 cars built with the left-hand drive.
These cars were essentially hand built.
In 1948 the 4.5-liter model 175 was introduced.
This 175S incorporated the Henri Dubonnet engineered suspension and featured a more powerful, 190HP, engine. Coachwork is by Carrosserie Henri Chapron of Paris, an elegant French coachwork company. This is one of only 10 left-hand drive 175S's built in hopes of entering the US market. It 1954, Delahaye was taken over by Hotchkiss, who shut down automobile production, dropped the Delahaye name, and closed this famous chapter of automotive history.