When Delahaye returned to automobile manufacturing after World War II, it reintroduced the prewar Type 135 as well as the larger-engined Type 175. About 50 Type 175 chassis were built, and this is one of just ten left-hand drive examples known to exist. Coachbuilder Henri Chapron called the body style 'Le Dandy', a name also used for a custom body on the Citroën DS platform, unrelated to this car.
Looking inside reveals wonderful interior details which could only be found on a French Grand Routier. The pleated front seats with center armrest recall those on the great French express trains and the ribbed chrome bezels of the two major gauges command the dashboard with its beautifully formed
chromed knobs and rich wood trim.
The three-position soft top gives the owner the option of motoring in a fully closed coupe, a coupe de ville with just the front section open, or a fully open cabriolet.
The first owner of this car is unknown. In 1959 J.H. Caperton of Louisville purchased this Delahaye from A.F. Loyens of The Netherlands. Mr. Caperton picked the car up in New York and drove it home to Kentucky. He had some restoration work done. It was sold to Earl Brown of Prospect, Kentucky. Louis Cardello of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania bought the 175S in late 1982 or early 1983. Next was noted collectors Al McEwan and Dick Hooper 1983. They sent the Delahaye for a full restoration. It made its show debut at the 1985 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, winning Second in Class, the first of many awards in recent years. Charles H. Morse bought the car in 1996. He toured the car extensively and sold it to the current owners.