The duPont Motors Company was founded by E. Paul duPont, a member of the same family that produces paints and chemicals. After manufacturing marine engines during WWI, duPont produced its first car, the Model A, in 1919. Subsequent models became progressively more powerful and luxurious until production ceased in 1932. Only 527 duPonts were produced and all had hand built coachwork by some of the best known body builders of the day.
In 1929, duPont campaigned four speedsters at the Grand Prix d'Endurance at LeMans. Subsequently, they offered two and four place versions of these cars to the public equipped with 125 horsepower eight-cylinder Continental engines, with three and four speed transmissions. A Model G Speedster could reach 100 mph and sold new for $5,335. These cars were popular with celebrities; duPont owners included Will Rodgers, Jack Dempsey, and Douglas Fairbanks.
Of the six two-place speedsters originally constructed, three were boat-tails like this car. The other three were bodied with less sporting, but practical rumble seat coachwork. This car was bodied by Merrimac, and was equipped with the optional 4-speed transmission. It stayed original, but worn, until the late 1980's when it was restored to its current concours condition.