REO commenced commercial vehicle production in 1908, which continued in Lansing until 1974 (and continued in Harrisburg, PA, still as the Diamond REO).
Among the smaller truck manufacturers, REO was distinctive in that it built its own cabs and engines, as well as most other parts. It was common with other makes to sub-compact these out to other manufacturers.
Though an independent, REO has been associated with several other makes of trucks. They built a small model for MACK in the mid-1930s. The company merged with Diamond T in 1966 and became Diamond REO. White Motors bought REO (for their Good Gold Crown engines) and sold it to an ALMA industrialist.
Interestingly enough, this truck has only a four cylinder engine (the same block as used in the 1912 REO the Fifth), while the passenger cars of the same time were using a hefty 40 horsepower six. REO Speedway brakes were extra charge. Forgings were preferred over castings for frame and body brackets and hangers.
This vehicle is on display at the R.E. Olds Transportation museum.