The Marmon Motor Car Company was founded in 1851 as the Nordyke & Marmon Company. They built a world-wide reputation for their design and construction of flour mills. The Nordyke & Marmon Company entered the automotive industry in 1902, in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Company owner Howard Marmon was a believer in aluminum's weight-saving features and developed new ways of casting aluminum. The Marmon automobiles were one of the first to make extensive use of aluminum. The Model 30 featured a cast aluminum floor pan. The engine had a cast aluminum crankcase bolted to cast-iron cylinder jugs.
Powering the 1910 Marmon Roadster is a four-cylinder engine displacing 286 cubic-inches. It takes it name from its horsepower rating of 31.8 horsepower (rounded up to '32'). The car has a 112-inch wheelbase and was priced at $2,400 when new.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2017