Between 1919 and 1931, duPont Motors built approximately 550 super luxury vehicles, many of which had a sporting flair. The duPont Model G Speedster with a two-passenger body by Merrimac was shown at the 1929 New York Auto Show. Its striking design features the exotic-looking, but disappointingly dim, Woodlite headlamps. The first Speedster was purchased by Mary Pickford for her husband, Douglas Fairbanks. A.J. Miranda, duPont's New York distributor, was keen on racing the car at the 24 Hours of LeMans but the rules allowed only four-seat cars to enter. The body design was soon changed and a pair of four-seat cars were hurriedly built, one to be driven by Miranda and Charles Moran Jr. and the other by duPont's Australian distributor Sidney Cotton and his wife. An additional fifteen four-passenger Speedsters were built, but only three exist today, each modeled as a 'gentleman's' version of the LeMans race car.
This Model G 4-Passenger Speedster, one of three known to remain in existence out of an original run of thirteen, was such a sporting model. With enhanced performance on a 125-inch wheelbase it was a spirited performer.