Chassis #: 913249
The name 6C 2500 was a designation referring to the cars six-cylinder, 2,500 cubic centimeter engine. The series included sports and competition cars, ministerial sedans along with parade cars, ambulances and four-wheel drive vehicles.
The Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 was first introduced in 1938 and remained in production until 1952.
This car was built in Italy in the midst of World War II. Benito Mussolini had the Italian government purchase Alfa Romeo in the 1930's, and the company produced a variety of war materials, along with a limited number of rather expensive cars until the factory was bombed several times.
Alfa began automobile production in 1910. The name is an acronym translating to 'The Lombard Automobile Factory Company.' Romeo was later added to the name in 1920, reflecting the name of its new owner, Nicola Romeo. He would bring in the famous engineer, Vittorio Jano from Fiat based on the urging of Alfa's racing driver, Enzo Ferrari.
The Milano Alfa factory was bombed by the British in the summer of 1943. A mere four 6C 2500 chassis would survive, including this one. It was then consigned to Carrozzeria Garavini, Torino. After this move, no further records have surfaced relating to this car. It is believed to have been used by either the Italian or German military since factory photographs show military or diplomatic flag stanchion holders on the front bumper. It is believed that the car came to the United States soon after the war. It was owned by Richard DeChambeau of Pittsburgh in the 1960s and then sold to John P. Hoffman of New Bremen, Ohio, in 1982. Its current owner bought the car in 2009 and has recently undertaken a lengthy and meticulous restoration to return the car to its original configuration.