This 1958 Ambassador pillar-less hardtop 'Cross Country' station wagon is believed to be one of only two remaining. Sold new in Lake Charles, Louisiana, the dealer's logo is still on the tailgate.
The current owner found this rare wagon about 10 years ago. It had been sitting neglected in a South Carolina peach orchard, last licensed in 1965. He purchased it and painstakingly restored it to its current condition. This Ambassador is unusually well-equipped, with factory air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, pushbutton radio, automatic transmission, two-tone paint, roof luggage rack, 4-barrel carburetor, dual exhausts, and a radio. The electric clock and reclining front seats were standard equipment on the Ambassador.
In 1956, Rambler was the first manufacturer to offer a four-door hardtop wagon. Another redesign, in 1958, pushed Rambler into the number-three sales slot in the wagon rankings. The line-topping Ambassador hardtop wagon was anything but commonplace. Priced dollar-for-dollar with Buick and Chrysler, the long, luxurious Ambassador hardtop wagon featured a 327 cubic-inch V8, a remarkably well-appointed interior and an extended wheelbase for an exceptionally smooth ride.
Only 294 of the hardtop wagons were built in 1958, another 578 for 1959 and just 435 in 1960, before Rambler returned to conventional pillared styling for all its 1961 station wagons.