Donald Healey and Nash-Kelvinator CEO George W. Mason met on the Queen Elizabeth and the Nash-Healey was the result. To create a racing pedigree for the marque, Donald Healey built four lightweight Nash-Healeys for endurance racing. Like many road cars, they had Nash Ambassador engines and drivelines. However, fitting higher compression aluminum cylinder heads, special manifolds, and twin SU carburetors increased horsepower to 200. The cars had Spartan, lightweight racing bodies. Three open versions were built and one coupe. These cars competed in four consecutive Le Mans races and one Mille Miglia. This outstanding achievement sealed Healey's contract with Nash for a limited production run of the road cars.
Roger Menadue was head of Healey's experimental department. He filed slots in the backing plates of the brakes and extended the adjusting mechanism to a small exterior lever. It took a matter of seconds to adjust the brakes during the race pit stops and was said to save as much as half an hour at each stop.
The car had been built from scratch in a 2 weeks. Menadue and his assistant Jock Reid fabricated the body in less than a week, by eye, without any drawings.
This car won first in class and third overall at the 1952 LeMans. It was raced in many other European Events prior to being shipped to the United States, where it raced at Watkins Glen, Bridgehampton and many other tracks. Retired in the late 1950s to reside in a retired Nash dealer's chicken coop, it was then restored in the 1990s and is still raced today in Retro LeMans, Mille Miglia, Monte Carlo Historics, Silverstone and many other events.