In the early 1950's, no competitive event was more demanding than the grueling boarder-to-boarder Mexican road race known as the Carrera Panamericana. When it came time for Porsche to designate models intended for race performance, the selection of the name 'Carrera' was therefore a clear choice. After all, Porsche vehicles were born for performance and with this, the expectation that they could compete on demanding tracks anywhere around the world.
A flat-four cylinder, pushrod engine of humble origins powered early Porsche sports cars. To achieve even greater performance, Porsche engineer Ernst Fuhrmann designed an advanced, air-cooled engine with four camshafts. Initially, this 'Fuhrmann Four Cam' was used in the purpose-built racing 550 Spyders before it became obvious that a grand touring need could be filled as well.
With the introduction of the 1500 GS at the 1955 Frankfurt Auto Show, Porsche announced that soon its powerful Fuhrmann Four Cam would power a homologation run of racing coupes based on the 356 - eventually extending the performance option (and Carrera name) across the model line. By 1957, Carrera models destined for road use would carry the Carrera De Luxe (GS) designation while those intended for the track carried the initials GT (along with a slight increase in power output).
The extremely rare, Ruby Red Porsche 356 Carrera GT Coupe represented here (sourced through New Jersey's Porsche Classic Partner, Paul Miller Porsche) is a 1960 Lightweight example. In addition to having a majority of its newly styled 'B' body crafted of lightweight aluminum, evolutionary changes to the engine resulted in a size increase to 1,600cc.
This example originally raced extensively in Europe.