Chassis #: 2101/2101
The Maserati Brothers - Aflieri, Bindo, Carloe, Ettore, Ernesto and Mario - began building race cars in Italy in the 1920s. They won early and often, including the Targa Florio in 1926 in their first race with a new car. In 1937, Omer Orsi took control of Maserati, though the brothers stayed on until 1947 when they left to found OSCA.
The A6G were two-door coupe and spyders bodied by Zagato, Pininfarina, Frua, Ghia, Bertone, Allemano and Vignale. Most were fitted with Maserati's characteristic grille, headlight and taillight assemblies.
This is the only Maserati A6G Zagato convertible ever built and the first Maserati road car to use the twin plug/twin cam engine. Completed in 1954, it premiered at the 1955 Geneva Auto Show, where it caught the eye of Juan Perone, who made arrangements to purchase the car. It was then sent back to Carrozzeria Zagato for a few detail changes prior to being shipped to Argentina. Unfortunately, due to Mr. Perone's political problems at home, he was never able to take delivery of the car and ownership reverted back to Zagato. In 1958, the car was shown on the Maserati stand at the Paris Motor Show and soon after, found a home with an American diplomat living in Paris followed by a lieutenant colonel in the US Air Ford. The car came to the US and was sold to a California collector.
It changed hands again in 1979, and a restoration was contemplated, but the car was garaged for 20 years. Upon emerging from storage, Genoa Racing restored the car back to its Paris Motor Show appearance, completed in time for a grand unveiling at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The Maserati stunned the crowds with its voluptuous curves, incredible paint work, and interior details. It was shown at numerous other Concours events in the Golden State.
Sometimes lost in the beauty are the specifications: a two-liter alloy engine making 150 horsepower, triple Weber carburetors, drum brakes, live axle, and an independent front suspension. Top speed is 130 MPH.
Currently in possession of the sixth owner, it underwent a ground-up restoration by Genoa Racing in 2001, won the Post-War Sports Award at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering in 2004 and Best of Show at Concorso Italiano in 2005.