Introduced in 1932, the J12 was the definition of luxury travel for the well-heeled clientele of the day. It was generally powered by a 9.25-liter V-12 aluminum overhead-valve engine that produced 220 bhp and developed close to 400 foot-pounds of torque, allowing it to take almost any hill in top gear. Top speed of over 100 mph posed no problem. The engine ran silently and there was synchromesh transmission on the top two of the three forward gears. A 'larger' version of this engine, developed to power railcars, displaced 11.3-liters. This coachwork on this car is by Van Vooren, a major coachbuilder for Hispano Suiza. This car is one of six produced on a short chassis, and it was fitted with the 11.3-liter engine in 1952. The car was initially ordered by Count Carlo Trossi, a famous race car driver who owned many luxury high performance cars.
This car was originally owned by Count Trossi, a well-known European sportsman and race car driver. Subsequent owners included Charles Weymann, who invented the patented Weymann Coachwork Construction system. In 1952, it was acquired by Charles Chayne, Chief Engineer of General Motors and a prominent automobile collector. In 1972, it passed to Jules Heumann. In the 1990s, the car was owned by German collector Berthold Kuckwarth, who showed it extensively in Europe.
The present owner acquired the car in December of 2000. A complete restoration to its original colors and specifications was completed by Classic Car Services of Oxford, Maine, in 2008.