The Pinin Farina-bodied cabriolet that Ferrari introduced at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1957 marked an auspicious mile-stone in Ferrari history as the company's first series-built open top sports car.
This 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Series 1, chassis #0777GT, is built on a 508C type chassis. The 3-liter engine is a type 128C V-12 producing approximately 225 horsepower. The Cabriolet body created for this car by Pininfarina is based on a small series of prototypes built and shown at various auto shows in 1957. It is the tenth built out of a production of forty Cabriolets.
This car was delivered on January 3rd, 1958 to Georgio Fassio, a Genovese shipping executive and friend of Enzo Ferrari. Its second owner was the New York Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti. It arrived in the United Sates in 1959 and was immediately used by Chinetti's son Luigi 'Coco' Chinetti Jr. on his honeymoon. During the car's early life the original engine was changed, but engine and body were reunited by the current owner in the early 1980s. During its restoration the original charcoal grey paintwork was repainted in Ferrari dark blue, and the black interior was replaced with striking red upholstery. The car is easily identified because it has unusual and distinctive outside vents and a stainless steel mirror finish inside the headlight buckets.
It has been with its present owner since 1983.