Chassis #: 4002
This 16-cylinder Maserati was built by mounting two Tipo 26B inline-8 cylinder engines in a common crankcase with two crankshafts geared together. The result was a power output of around 280 to 305 horsepower from 4.0 liters. The Tipo 26 frame was stretched to a wheelbase of 2.75 meters and the car mounted on 19-inch wheels. The car was a monster to drive, with a claimed top speed of 155 to 161.5 mph and consumed fuel at the rate of 5.45 mpg. It also had a healthy appetite for tires as well.
Before retiring in the second heat of the Monza Grand Prix, Alfieri Maserati drove the V4 to a lap speed of 124.2 mph - a record that stood until 1954. Baconin Borzacchini set a Class F world record at an average speed of 153.79 mph for over 10 kilometers. Driven by Borzacchini, the Maserati V4 won the Trioli GP in 1930, and Fagioli took the Rome GP in 1931.
This is one of two 16-cylinder race cars built by Maserati to race in 1933 and 1934. Maserati used two 8-cylinder engines and combined them on a single crankcase; the result was this 4-liter V16 engine.
This car crashed at the Coppa Acerbo in 1934 and was rebodied by Zagato for owner Erik Verhade in 1940, then was dismantled and hidden away during World War II. In 1950, Charles Lewis bought the car to race in England. Its current owner restored the car after acquiring it in 1999. It is the sole surviving Tipo 4 that retains its original body, chassis and engine.
Chassis #: 4002
Rodolfo Maserati and his wife, Carolina Losi had seven sons. The oldest son born to this couple living in Voghera, Italy was Carlo, born in 1881. With the exception of Mario, all of the brothers had a similar passion for cars.
Officine Alfieri Maserati was founded on December 1, 1914, in Bologna, Italy by Alfieri, Bindo, and Ettore. The purpose of this firm was for tuning Isotta racing cars. During the first World War, the company produced spark plugs and worked on Isotta aircraft engines. When the war came to a close, Alfieri opened a garage and soon four-cylinder racer was created. The Maseratis even tried building a straight-eight race car.
In 1926, the Maserati brothers formed their own company in Italy that bore their surname. They selected Neptune's trident as their insignia. The trident was the symbol of Bologna, their town. The cars they produced prior to World War II were built with the intent on racing. A few were considered sport-racers that could be driven both on the track and the road.
In 1929, the Maserati V4 made its racing debut at the Italian Grand Prix. This was a sensational automobile powered by a 16-cylinder engine. The narrow-angle 'V' configuration of the engine had two banks of eight-cylinders. Two Type 26B cylinder blocks and a single crankcase were used. The '4' in the name V4 represented the displacement of 4000ccc.
The V4 would set a World Class C speed record with driver Baconin Borzacchinni. The V4 ran the flying 10 kilometers at 246.6 kilometers per hour, setting records and boosting the image and legacy of the Maserati marque. The record was set on September 28th of 1929. It had a velocity of 154 mph and was the fastest car in the world at the time.
The car was entered in the 1930 Indianapolis 500, but without a supercharger, it did not have the proper power to contend for overall victory. The four-speed gearbox was replaced with a three-speed unit for the race. With Borzacchini at the wheel, he was one of only two foreign drivers in the 500-mile race. The car completed only seven of the two-hundred laps, finishing in 27th place.
The first victory for the car and the Company was in 1930 at the Grand Prix in Tripoli, again piloted by Borzacchinni.
There was only two examples of the Maserati V4 created. The first car was a racing car. The other wore a Zagato body and built in 1930.
This car is the 1930 Maserati V4 Zagato Grand Sport. It is one of the rarest road-going Maserati's in existence. The car was given an extensive two-year restoration and shown at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2009