Chassis #: 356-2-063
This Porsche 356 is one of four cars prepared for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1951. Sadly, three of these crashed in testing, so this is the only car that started. The Porsche finished 20th overall but 1st in the 1100cc class, recording Porsche's first win in an international race and the start of a long-running association with international endurance racing. Following Le Mans, the factory entered the coupe in the Liege-Rome-Liege race and the Montlhery Speed Trials. It was then exported to Max Hoffman in New York City and sold to John von Neumann, who campaigned the car in West Coast SCCA events, including the 1952 races at Pebble Beach. Chuck Forge later raced the car from 1982 until 2009. The coupe has now been restored to its 1951 Le Mans specification.