E-M-Fs were built in Detroit, MI, from 1908 to 1912. This independent company was founded by three automotive giants: Barney Evertt (former automotive body manufacturer), William Metzger (former advertising manager for Cadillac), and Walter Flanders (former production genius who promoted the assembly line for Henry Ford). The E-M-F name is derived from the initials of Everett, Metzger and Flanders.
During this period, E-M-F was the second largest producer of automobiles, second only to Ford. It was a medium priced car and was a good car for those times. Approximately 50,000 were built during the four-year period. The Studebaker Company (manufacturer of horse-drawn wagons) had been contracted to sell the E-M-F along side their wagons. The relationship between E-M-F and Studebaker did not go well and the original partners bailed out and sold their interest to Studebaker. Before the end of 1912, E-M-F was gone.
The open body style of this car was referred to as a 'touring' body. The car is powered by a 30 horsepower, four-cylinder engine, which must be hand cranked to start it. A 'comfortable' cruising speed for both man and machine is 30-40 mph, but records indicate in 1910 it averaged 65.2 mph at the Atlanta Speedway. It consumes fuel at 15 to 20 miles per gallon depending on the terrain. The lanterns are fueled by kerosene and the head lights are powered by an acetylene-type gas.
This is an original car and not a reproduction. It was one of the last E-M-F automobiles produced. In September 2009, this car climbed to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado on the highest paved road (14,265 ft) in America.