Chassis #: 41976
Engine # 41625
The Amilcar was a French automobile manufactured from 1921 to 1939. The most famous model of all was the CGS 'Grand Sport' of 1924 and featured a 1,074cc engine and four-wheel brakes. This, in turn, evolved into the more sporty CGSS 'Grand Sport Surbaisse.'
This CGSS is powered with a 1244cc four-cylinder engine and was raced in New England through the 1950s. It was purchased by Gordon Heald in 1965, and raced actively with the VSCCA until it was donated to the Heritage Museum in Sandwich, Massachusetts, in 1995. The car resided in their collection until 2005, when it was sold at auction to the current owner. Following a complete restoration, it will return to racing with the VSCCA.
Amilcar introduced their CGSS in the summer of 1926. It was the latest development of its successful line of sports cars, the CGS. The extra S, standing for surbaisse, represented its lowered chassis. It had a revised camshaft, large sump volume, improved steering box, short wheelbase and larger brakes. Later examples had a four-speed gearbox.
Buyers were given the choice of several different body styles from coupes to the staggered-seat, pointed-tail roadster.
This example is known to have raced in various post-war events around New England and, in 1965, Gordie Heald purchased the Amilcar for vintage racing. It raced at various VSCCA circuits during the 1970s and 1980s. It remained an active competitor until 1995 when it was donated to the Heritage Museum in sandwich, Massachusetts.
The vehicle remained in the collection until 2005, when the current owner acquired the car. It was given a full restoration by D.L. George Coachworks. It made its restoration debut at the 2010 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.
In 2010, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Pebble Beach Auction presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $125,000 - $175,000. The car would leave the auction unsold.
Chassis #: 41976
Engine # 41625
The Societe' Nouvelle pour l'Automobile was founded in 1920 in the Paris suburb of Saint Denis to 'make sporting voiturettes,' or small cars. Joseph Lamy and Emile Akar provided the money while the engineering came from Andre Morel and Edmond Moyet. Their objective was to provide simplicity, strength, and dependability as well as lightness and economy. They produced their first car in 1921, the Type CC. Its successor, the CGS was introduced in 1924. It was the epitome of the French sports car with two-seater body, flared fenders, four-speed gearbox, and an 1100cc 4-cylinder supercharged engine providing 75 mph.
According to the owner, this is one of 948 produced and was raced in New England through the 1950's. It was purchased by Gordon Heald in 1965 and raced actively with the SVCCA until it was donated to the Heritage Museum, Sandwich, Massachusetts in 1995. The car remained in the Museum's collection until 2005 when the current owner purchased it. Its restoration was completed by the owner in 2010 who continues to race the car in VSCCA events.