Porsche 718/8 W-RS Spyder


Total Production: 14
Debuting in 1958, the Porsche 718 was a racing vehicle that continued in production until 1962. Riding on the coattails of success from the Porsche 550, the 718 was very similar in concept with its lightweight body, mid-engined, perfectly designed and very simple to maintain. The Porsche 718 was also responsible for bringing Porsche's first win at Sebring, also at the 1960 12 Hours race and a variety of successes in the Targa Florio, and countless national hillclimb, along with endurance and sports car championships throughout the world.

The Type 718 utilized many of the same mechanics that had been successful with the 550, even before the Type 547 engine had with its 1.5 liter displacement with over-head camshafts. This engine is considered to be the signature, first truly developed engine FOR Porsche, for use strictly in their automobiles. The 718 featured a small capacity that allowed it to enter into the ‘small sports car' class, as is defined by the FIA, the European motorsports governing body.

As before, Erwin Komenda was commission to design the Porsche 718. The end result, a streamlined and compact shape that was prime to elicit the fame and reputation the vehicle received throughout its lifetime. The exterior of the 718 was all aluminum placed on top of a tubular space-frame chassis which held the engine. Featuring a brand new five-speed manual gearbox, the drive went to the rear wheels.

It wasn't until 1960 when the Porsche 718 received modifications that included enlarging the engine to 1600 cc, and this was the birth of the 718 RS60. Updates to the Porsche 718 included a larger windshield, a regulation trunk in the tail, a ‘functional' top, and a four-cam engine that now produced 160 hp.

The RS60 wowed fans and was extremely successful and the factory entry driven by Olivier Gendebien and Hans Herrman, who won outright at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1960. Their team-mated finished second. Meanwhile the RS60 won the 44th running of the Sicilian epic, the Targa Florio under the direction of Jo Bonnier and Hans Herrman.

In 1961, the RS61 was once again updated, and annual updates continued continuously until the end of the vehicles production span.

Though initially the Porsche 718 was intended to be mainly a road-legal sportscar with its two seats and steering wheel placed on the left, Porsche also created a single seat version of the 718; the 718/2 by moving the steering wheel to the center of the cockpit, and eventually into a real open-wheeler Formula 2 car. The first single seater 718 was entered into a Formula 2 championship following a special order by Grand Prix driver Jean Behra. Based on the 718RSK, the 718/2 utilized its engine along with a variety of its mechanical components. Behra still considered the vehicle to be too slow, and created another. Despite all of this, he still went on to win the 1958 Formula 2 race at Reims, in France.

This vehicle kept the 718's engine, but joined it to a brand-new tubular spaceframe chassis. The majority of the work on this vehicle was done by ex-Maserati engineer, Valerio Colotti, in Modena. The vehicle was raced for the first time at the 1959 Monaco Grand Prix, against the much faster Formula 1 cars. Horribly though, this vehicle was involved in a collision with another competitor, and was forced to retire. Hans Herrman, grabbed the wheel at Reims and happened to finish a close second to Stirling Moss in the Cooper. Behra took the wheel of his Porsche at the next race that occurred at Germany's Avus track, but unfortunately the day before the race, he was killed tragically driving a 718 in a Sportscar race, and the vehicle didn't turn another wheel. Eventually, American driver Vic Meinhardt purchased the car and raced it at amateur level in the USA.

In 1961 the Formula One's rules changed and Porsche realized that it could finally enter the earlier single seater into the championship. With mixed results, Porsche entered the car in several Grand Prix races of the 1961 Formula One season. At the 1961 Dutch Grand Prix, four Porsches competed and finished despite complications, making this race the only GP in decades in which all of the starters finished. The results were varied and 718/2 was replaced by the 804 for Porsche's F1 efforts. Fortunately the demand for the race prepared RSK718 was so intense, that Porsche decided to sell a version for road use and was dubbed the RS60 and RS61.

Unfortunately the Porsche 718 was considered by many to be too large, too heavy and down on power when compared side by side with newer designs of the competition that appeared in late 1961. This was a season that was dominated by Ferrari's V6 156 Dino. Until 1964, privateers such as Carel Godin de Beaufort entered the 718 in F1.

By Jessica Donaldson

Porsche 718/8 W-RS Spyder

Porsche 550 A
1958 Porsche 550 A
Original Price: $17,500
Chassis Profiles
Porsche 550A RS Spyder
1957 Porsche 550A RS Spyder
Original Price: $17,500
Average Auction Sale: $4,900,000
Chassis Profiles

Porsche 718/8 W-RS Spyder

Porsche 550 RS Spyder Replica
1956 Porsche 550 RS Spyder Replica
Original Price: $17,500
Average Auction Sale: $200,763
Chassis Profiles
Porsche 550 RS Spyder
1956 Porsche 550 RS Spyder
Original Price: $17,500
Average Auction Sale: $6,104,353
Chassis Profiles
Porsche 550 RS Spyder Replica
1955 Porsche 550 RS Spyder Replica
Original Price: $17,500
Average Auction Sale: $27,694
Chassis Profiles
Porsche 550 RS Spyder
1955 Porsche 550 RS Spyder
Original Price: $17,500
Average Auction Sale: $2,260,367
Chassis Profiles

Related Articles and History
After World War II, Walter Glockler of Frankfurt was one of the first to own a Volkswagen dealership. He was an amateur motorcycle racer that had ventured into auto racing once he had financial backing from his successful dealership. One of his engineers working at the dealership had worked on prewar Adler sports cars and had amassed a wealth of racing knowledge and expertise. In 1948 they modified a Hanomag engine and placed it mid-ship creating a very competitive racer. In 1950 they continued with their mid-engined configuration but switched to an L1-liter Porsche engine. The rear suspension was reversed and mounted to a tube-frame chassis with the driver sitting in the center of the vehicle to optimize weight distribution. The body was created by C. H. Weidenhausen and constructed of aluminum and weighed less than 1000 pounds. The combination was enough to gain Glockler the 1100 cc Sports Car Championship. For the following season, Glockler had the engine converted to run on alcohol which improved the horsepower output and kept it competitive for another season. These were the beginnings of the highly successful Glockler specials.

Collaboration between Porsche and Glockler began. Porsche was seeking publicity and recognition for his products to further stimulate sales while Glockler enjoyed the latest engine development and new products. This partnership continued for a number of years before Porsche began building his own series of racing cars. Ernst Fuhrmann was given the task of creating an engine suitable for competition; the project was dubbed 547, while Wilhelm Hild was tasked with creating a new chassis, dubbed Project 550. The resulting design was similar to the mid-engined Glockler, consisting of a steel tube ladder frame with six cross members. The drivetrain from a 356 was modified and placed behind the driver but in front of the rear axle. The suspension was basically a stock 356 unit with minor modifications to accommodate the extra weight and demands of racing.

Hild completed two chassis but the engine development was still not ready. Instead, an engine from a 356 1500 Super was placed in its place. It was modified to run on alcohol which resulted in nearly 100 horsepower. It was then slightly detuned to achieve an optimal compression of 9.0:1 which lowered the horsepower to nearly 80 but increased its reliability.

The first Porsche 550, outfitted with a Roadster body, had its racing debut at the Eiffel Races at Nurburging. Piloted by Helm Glockler, the Porsche immediately proved its capabilities. Unfortunately, the weather was poor and there were problems with a carburetor but it was not enough from keeping Glockler and the 550 from winning the race. Even with strong competition, its first race had been victorious. Porsche turned his sights onto the grueling but prestigious 24 Hours of LeMans endurance race.

LeMans is a high speed track and manufacturers often build custom bodies for their cars to take advantage of better aerodynamics to achieve higher speeds. Two cars were prepared by Porsche for the race, both with coupe bodies. They were entered into the 1101-1500 cc class and by the end of the race had easily beaten the competition. Overall, they had finished 15th and 16th. Porsche 550-02 driven by Richard Frankenberg and Paul Frere were awarded the class victory. The cars were later raced in two German competition events.

Ernst Furhmann continued on his engine development project, under strict direction to stay in the 1500 cc limit. He borrowed from one of his previous designs; a flat-12 engine used in the Cisitalia Grand Prix car. It had a large bore and a small stroke. Instead of using the overhead valve configuration of the 356's, he went with an overhead camshaft design where each set of two cylinders had two overhead camshafts driven by shafts. When the new engine was complete, it was placed in a new 550 chassis which had continued the evolution of design, strength, rigidity, and weight reduction. It was still a tubular frame but had been modified through knowledge gained from testing and racing. A new body was created, designed by Erwin Komenda and in similar fashion to the original bodies of the other 550's.

This newly developed 550 was first shown to the public at the 1953 Hockenheim Grand Prix where it was unable to match the speeds of the 550 Coupe. It was raced a week later at a hillclimb where it scored a respectable third place finish. A month later a fifth 550 was on display at the Paris Motorshow where it was accompanied by news that the 550 RS Spyder would soon enter production and be available in 1954. The show car had a few luxurious that were void on the other racers, such as a full windshield with wipers, seating for two, convertible top, and the convenience of a lockable glove-box. Porsche worked hard on getting the 550's ready for racing during 1953 and 1954. Near the close of 1954, the vehicles were ready. In the hands of capable privateers, the 550's quickly began amassing many victories often beating the larger engine competition. One of the owners of a 550 Spyder, serial number 550-0055, was the legendary James Dean who nicknamed his machine 'Little Bastard.' On September 30th, 1955 at the intersection of Highways 466 and 41, James Dean's life came to a close while driving the 550 Spyder.

The original two 550's were prepared for the Carrera Panamerica race in 1953. Adorned with sponsor stickers and livery the two cars easily dominated the 1500 cc class. Jose Herrate's 550-02 emerged victorious though 550-01, driven by Jaroslav Juhan, was the faster of the two but forced to retire due to mechanical difficulties. The following year 550-04, outfitted with the Fuhrmann quad-cam engine, was entered into the Carrera Panamerica race where it finished third overall and first in class. In honor of these accomplishments, the 356 models outfitted with the Fuhrmann engine were now dubbed 'Carrera'.

In total there were around 90 examples of 550 RS Spyders created with 78 being sectioned for public use. In 1956 Porsche introduced the 550A which looked nearly identical to its predecessor but featured many mechanical improvements including a spaceframe chassis coupled to a Fuhrmann four-cam 547 engine capable of producing over 130 horsepower. It featured a five speed manual gearbox and multi-link suspension which greatly improved the handling while reducing over-steer.

The Porsche 550 was a very successful car that showcased the capabilities and creativity of Porsche. Throughout the years to come, new Porsches were created that were bigger, better, and faster, and continued the tradition on the racing circuits of this historic pedigree.


By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
Automobile sport was part of the picture for the fledgling Porsche sports car firm from the first. The 356 quickly became popular around the world, in the hands of private drivers with sporting ambitions. New racesports cars were developed in Zuffenhausen at the beginning of the fifties: the1.5 liter 550 Spyder proved a shark in the goldfish bowl against larger-displacement competitors in major races. This Spyder used the first engine developed by Porsche for Porsche: the Type 547 with 1.5 liter displacement and four, shaft-driven, overhead camshafts.

Porsche had made the change from a floor pan to tubular space frame for racesport construction, established the five-speed gearbox, continued to increase performance and fitted larger drum brakes. These improvements, along with countless other modifications, kept the Spyder at the head of the ' small sports car class ' (up to 1500 cc) throughout the fifties.

But 1960 brought new regulations for racesports cars, leading to the Spyder RS 60 with displacement increased to 1600 cc, larger windshield, a 'functional' top and a regulation trunk in the tail, behind a four-cam engine which now produced 160 HP. This RS 60 brought Porsche its finest results up to that time, particularly in long-distance events. While an overall victory in the 44th Targa Florio in 1960 by Bonnier/Herrmann, with a lead of more than 6 minutes over a 3 liter Ferrari, was within the range of previous achievements - sports cars from Zuffenhausen had already captured overall Targa Florio victories in l956 and 1959 - a new Porsche chapter opened with the first appearance of the RS 60 at the 12 hours of Sebring in the USA. Olivier Gendebien and Hans Herrmann won outright while Holbert/Scheckter/Fowler drove a second factory RS 60 into second, ahead of Nethercutt/Lovely in a 3 liter Ferrari Dino. Swiss driver Heini Walter, at the wheel of an RS 60, secured Porsche's third and fourth European Hillclimb Championships in 1960 and 1961, following those from 1958 by Count Berghe von Trips and 1959 by Edgar Barth.

Source - Porsche
Porsche Models

data-full-width-responsive="true">


Vehicle information, history, and specifications from concept to production.

Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Conceptcarz Google+ Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed

Conceptcarz.com
© 1998-2019 Conceptcarz.com Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.