During the late 1940's and early 1950's, the Beutler brothers, highly skilled coachbuilders, were responsible for aiding in the production of the Porsche 356 Cabriolets. Reutter Karosserieshad been tasked with the production of the 356 coupes.
The Buetler brothers (Ernst, Fritz, Herr, and Gebruder) were tasked by Porsche with designing the body. Stipulations were placed on the design mainly that it had to be recognizably Porsche. The vehicle used Porche 356B brake lights, door handles, bumpers, and hood handle. Using a 356B chassis, two prototypes were built in November of 1959. Ferry Porsche approved the design. However, only five Beutler-Porsches 356B's were constructed due to disagreements between the Brothers and Ferry. The brothers were used to dealing directly with the customer while Ferry wanted the distribution to go through the Porsche network. A compromise could not be found and Porsche stopped supplying the Beutler brothers with chassis.
The Buetler brother's contribution to the Porsche marque legacy is significant, undeniably, and often overlooked. Many have wondered what direction the company might have taken if the Brothers contribution would have continued.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2016