In 1947, the British-based TVR Company was formed by Trevor Wilkinson. The first was a modified light-alloy two-seater Alvis Firebird. It was dubbed the TVR, using letters from his first name. Within a few years, TVR Engineering was creating tubular chassis for local racing enthusiasts. By the mid-1950s, the operation had expanded to include the US, where racing was ripe and growing.
Throughout the years, TVR began expanding their product line to include high-performance Coupes such as the Grantura and Griffith series. These lightweight vehicles were nimble and quick. Next came the Tuscan which continued the sporty pedigree, being clothed in a fiberglass body, fitted with a tubular steel chassis, and incorporating an independent suspension setup.
There were a total of 28 examples of the first series of the Tuscan. The Tuscan MKI rested on a short 85-inch wheelbase and powered by a Ford 289 cubic-inch V8 engine. Most were sent to the US distributor, Garry Sagerman, accounting for 24 of 28 units. Some of these were given a 195 horsepower Ford 289 engine.
The next generation of the Tuscan had styling changes, most notably in the rear. There were different tail lamps and a newly restyled hood.
At the 1968 New York Auto Show, an announcement was made for 21 examples of the 'wide-body' SE V8 models.
Beginning near the close of 1969, a 3.0-liter V6 version became available. A total of 101 examples of this generation would be created with the Ford 'Essex' engine lurking under the bonnet. A larger V8 version soon followed and due to the low production numbers, was exempt from meeting the U.S. safety standards. The coupes were updated to comply with emissions requirements.By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2008