Total Production: 62 1951 - 1953 In 1949 Donald Healey and George Mason had a chance meeting on an ocean liner. Healey was in the business of designing and producing sports cars while Mason was the president of Nash-Kelvinator. Their conversation led to sports car and resulted in an agreement that the Nash Company would provide engines for a new Healey sports car. In 1950, production began on this Nash-Healey alliance. In 1951, the Nash-Healey was debuted at the Chicago Auto Show. It was a sporty vehicle with amenities such as leather upholstery and an adjustable steering wheel. A three-speed manual transmission with overdrive was coupled to the powerful Nash engine. The front suspension was comprised of a Healey trailing link with coil springs and an anti-roll bar, attached to a ladder-type steel frame. The rear suspension was a rigid axle with coil springs and track bar. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners.
In 1950 a Nash-Healey was entered into the Mille Miglia where it finished respectively in ninth place. It was then entered in the grueling 24-hour of LeMans race where it achieved an impressive fourth place. There were nearly seventy cars that had been entered but when the checkered flag fell, less than thirty remained. It was re-entered in the 1951 LeMans race wearing a coupe body. It finished third in its class and sixth overall. In 1952, it finished third overall and second in its class.
In 1952 the coachwork was handled by Pininfarina. There were only 62 built guaranteeing its exclusivity. A Nash-Healey was entered in the International Concours d'Elegance where it won first place in the Foreign car custom body class. Under the hood was a 252 cubic inline six-cylinder Nash engine that had modifications courteous of Donald Healey. With aluminum heads and 2 SU carburetors, it was capable of producing 140 horsepower. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006