Total Production: 62
The Allard J1 was introduced at the conclusion of World War II. America was anxious to return to racing and this vehicle offered superior sporting characteristics which were sought by privateers. It was powered by a 3.6-liter Ford V8 engine that was matted to a three-speed manual gearbox. The engine was the vehicles largest drawbacks often suffering from overheating and lack of power. A unique feature to the vehicle was the removable wings which could be replaced with cycle fenders making the J1 appropriate for road and track use. Production lasted for only a short period with a total of twelve examples being produced.
It was replaced by the two-seater K1 which was produced in larger quantities. It was sporty and profitable. In 1950 Allard introduced the J2 which was similar in design to its J1 sibling. The J2 brought about many improvements, including moving the engine farther back which helped distribute the weight throughout the vehicle. The transverse leaf springs were replaced in favor of coils. In the rear the live axle was switched for a De Dion setup. The bonnet was designed to house a number of engines. The Ford side-valve engine continued to be the favorite. Other options included the Chrysler Hemi V8 and the Cadillac pushrod unit.
In 1950 Tom Cole and Sydney Allard drove an Allard J2 to a third overall at the 24 hours of Le Mans race. This was an impressive accomplishment and a true indication of the vehicles abilities and capabilities. The J1, J2, J2X racers were raced extensively in various types of racing providing many podium finishes for their owners.
The J2X was introduced in 1951 that was very similar to its J2 counterpart. The J2X had its engine moved forward to provide more cockpit room for its passengers. The final iteration of the J2X was the J2x Le Mans and Jr which were enclosed bodies of the J2 racer.
The Allard k-3 was introduced in 1952 and produced until 1954 with a total of 62 examples being produced. These two-door roadsters had a modern appearance and sporty intentions. They were equipped with coil-spring suspension and a variety of V8 engines. It sat atop a 100 inch wheelbase that was light and sturdy. The body was comprised of aluminum.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006