Total Production: 800 1967 - 1974
The Ginetta Cars Company was created in 1958 by the four Walklett brothers, Bob, Ivor, Trevers and Douglas. The Company was located in Woodbridge, Suffolk, England and their first offering was the G2 which was a kit car based on a tubular frame chassis, aluminum body and comprised of Ford components. The G2 was followed by the G3 in 1959 and replaced by the G4 in 1961. The G2 and G3 were designed for competition whereas the G4 was intended as a road-going vehicle. The G4 was given a fiber-glass GT bodystyle and a Ford 105E engine. The suspension and other components benefited from modern improvements. Production continued until 1969 with around 500 examples being constructed.
The G10 and G11 were produced during the early 1960's and powered from V8 engines courtesy of Ford and MGB. The next Ginetta vehicle was the G12 which brought with it a rather experimental configuration with the driver sitting in front of the motor. It was a fairly uncommon setup though a proven way of achieving excellent balance and weight distribution.
The G15 was introduced in 1967 and remained in production until 1974 with over 800 examples being produced. The vehicle had seating for two and clothed in a fiber glass body bonded to a tube chassis. The G21 was introduced in 1970 and brought with it larger engines.
By the early 1970s the demand for the Ginetta vehicles had increased and the decision was made to relocate to new factories. A suitable location was found in Sudbury, Suffolk.
During the 1980's the company reverted back to kit cars with their G26, G27, and G31. The G32 was a mid-engined car built completely by Ginetta. It was offered with a variety of four-cylinder engines in either coupe or convertible configuration. The G33 was similar to the G32 but outfitted with a potent eight-cylinder engine.
In 1989 the Walkletts sold the company; the new owners continued the production of the G20 and G33.By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2009