The MG K-Type Magnette was produced from late in 1932 through 1934 with three different series offered during its production run. The K1 was produced from 1932 through 1934 with a total of 181 examples created. The K2 and K3 versions were produced from 1933 through 1934 in low numbers, with only 20 examples of the K2 and 33 of the K3 produced.
The K-Type Magnette Series was introduced to the public at the 1932 London Motor Show and served as a replacement for the F-Type Magna. The 'Magnette' part of its name was given to designate its smaller engine capacity to its Magna sibling. The engine sat in a chassis similar to the Magna, but featured a track enlarged by six inches. There were two lengths available, the first was 94 and the other was a later 108 inch platform. Cable-operated 13-inch drums provided the stopping power The graceful body's were held in place by half elliptic springs and Hartford friction shocks on all four corners. The front and rear axles were rigid with wire wheels on all four corners.
The 1087cc engine was based on the Wolseley overhead camshaft design. When production began on the K-Type series, the cars were fitted with a triple SU carburetor that was good for about 39 horsepower. Shortly after production began, a modified and improved version of the engine was introduced that had two carburetors and 41 horsepower. A four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox or pre-selector unit sent the power to the rear wheels.
The K1 series had seating for four and came in two bodystyles, an open tourer and a pillarless saloon. It featured the KA engine and a pre-selector gearbox. A total of 54 examples were built with the KA engine, 74 with KB engines, and 53 with the KD version.
The K2 was a two-seater with open tourer coachwork. It had a shorter chassis and originally fitted with the KB engine and manual gearbox. Later cars, a total of 4, had the KD and pre-selector.
The K3 was the racing version built with seating for two in a very sporty body. The KC engine and Powerplus supercharger provided the power. The Powerplus unit was later replaced by a Marshall unit. The cars did rather well in racing, capturing a class victory at the 1933 Mille Miglia.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2008