Total Production: 645 1976 - 1989
In October of 1976 Aston Martin introduced the four-door Lagonda at the Earl's Court Show. The name Lagonda was borrowed from a similar British marque that had a respectable racing tradition and produced low production, exclusive automobiles. Both Aston Martin and Lagonda also shared a similar history of financial difficulties. After World War II, David Brown took control of both Aston Martin and Lagonda and brought these honorable marques under one name. In 1959, the combination was able to capture the World Championship.
The Aston Martin Lagonda was designed by William Towns. It was modern and practical with seating for five and many creature comforts. Production began in 1976 and continued untili 1990 with 645 examples being created. It was the first production automobile in the world to use a digital instrument panel and computer management. Under the hood was a four-cam eight-cylinder engine in 'Vee' configuration. A Chrysler 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission sent the power to the rear wheels. Air conditioning, power steering, brakes windows, door locks and a sunroof were all standard equipment.
The luxury four-door Lagonda was true to the 'folded paper' design style.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006