Dodge first used the name 'Diplomat' in 1950 to designate their 2-door hardtop bodystyle. The name would endure until 1954. It re-appeared in 1975 as a trim package on the Royal Monaco two-door hardtop. In 1977, it became its own model line and served as a replacement for the Coronet in Dodge's mid-sized line-up. It was based on the Dodge Aspen and wore an M-body. Mounted on the bonnet was a 225 cubic-inch six-cylinder engine as the base powerplant. An optional 5.2L and 5.9L V8 were available. After 1984, the Diplomat was only available with the 5.2L V8 unit.
The Diplomat became the largest sedan in Dodge's line in 1981 when the St. Regis model was discontinued. The following year, the coupe and station wagon bodystyles were discontinued on the Diplomat.
Production of the Diplomat would continue until 1989 when it was replaced by the Dodge Monaco. in the later part of the 1980s, the Diplomat was a popular choice as a fleet vehicle, service as a taxicab and for law enforcement use.By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008