The first six-cylinder car to bare the Oakland name was introduced in 1913. It had a 6246cc displacement size and rested on a wheelbase that measured 130 horsepower. It was given the name the Greyhound 6-60 and came well equipped with features such as Delco electric lighting and ignition. The engines were made by Northway and the body coachwork was handled by Budd.
The six-cylinder engine grew in size for 1914, now displacing 7233cc. Around 100 examples with this unit were created. They had a relatively high price tag of $2450 and came in four different body styles. A smaller, 'Light Six' was also available, with an engine that displaced 4727cc. It was called the 6-48 Light Six. The 6-60 production lasted until 1915 which left the Light Six and the Light Four (3154cc) as Oaklands model up.
In 1915, Oakland was joined by a Finnish-born engineering named Nils Eric Wahlberg. He worked as Oaklands chief engineer for several years before leaving to work for Nash where he would remain until the 1950s.
In 1916, a very powerful V8 engine that offered 71 horsepower became available. This engine could be found in the Oakland Model 50, along with other marques such as Oldsmobile and Scripps-Booth. This engine helped Oakland have a very strong year in sales, with 25,675 examples produced. Those figures rose even further the following year, to 33,171 cars and put Oakland in 8th place in US production.
1916 saw the introduction of another new Oakland model, the Model 32. It was powered by a six-cylinder engine that displaced 2900cc and produced 35 horsepower. Its horsepower rose the following year when it gained to 41bhp when it received OHVs. 1916 was also the last year for the four-cylinder Oaklands. The OHV Six would become Oaklands only model until the close of the 1923 season. The V8 engine was dropped in 1918.
The Sixes produced by Oakland from 1922 through 1923 were called the 6-44. In 1924 they were called the 6-54. For 1925 it was called the 6-54B and 6-54C in 1926. The 6-54B had an increased displacement size of 3032cc. In 1927 it's named changed to the Greater Oakland Six and then to the All-American Six in 1928. The All-American Six had a displacement six of 3474cc.By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2008