The 1940 and 1941 Ford half-ton pickup was a popular vehicle that had attractive styling and improved engineering. The truck was designed by E.T. 'Bob' Gregorie who gave them styling in a similar fashion to the 1939-1940 passenger cars. The front featured sealed-beam headlamps and a wider windshield that was fixed with cowl-mounted wipers (buyers still had the option to purchase crank-open windshields). Inside, the column featured rectangular instrument clusters and new springs providing extra passenger comfort for its occupants.
Beneath the body were several mechanical improvements that made the truck more reliable. They had a double-drop design with X-member bracing, comprised of 10-gauge steel. The suspension was comprised of transverse leaf springs in both the front and rear. The standard engine was a 221 cubic-inch flathead V8 offering 90 horsepower. A Mercury 239 CID V8 was optional which brought horsepower to 95 bhp. A smaller Ford V8 was available, but it was replaced mid-season by a 120 CID four-cylinder unit. Late in the season, Ford added an inline six as a no-cost option.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014