Total Production: 118 1948 - 1952 The Lagonda Company was founded in 1906 in Staines, Middlesex by American Wilbur Gunn, a former opera singer with a Scottish background. He named the company after the town of his birth, Lagonda Creek near Springfield, Ohio. At first Gunn built motorcycles in the garden of his home, and in 1907 he introduced his first car, the 20 hp, 6-cylinder Torpedo. He used this car to win the Moscow-St. Petersburg trial of 1910, which influenced exports to Russia until 1914. In 1947 the Lagonda Company was taken over by David Brown. Brown had also bought Aston Martin in Feltham, Middlesex.
Production was restarted with the final model from W. O. Bentley, the 1947 2.6-Litre Lagonda. Becoming the basis for the Aston Martin engines of the 1950s, the 2.6-liter was powered by the new 2,580 cc twin overhead cam straight six. Walter Owen Bentley was responsible for the new high-tech straight-6 engine, which would further propel Lagonda's new parent company, Aston Martin, to infamy.
Available as a 4-door closed car, the 2-6 Litre was a bigger car than the Aston Martin models. In 1949 the car was available as a 2-door drophead coupé, with seating for four. Tickford was responsible for the coupé's body, and at the time wasn't part of Aston Martin. In 1952 a Mark II version, in closed form was introduced. The engine power was bumped up to 125 bhp.
Believed to have been the only all-independently sprung British car, the 2.6-Litre had a separate chassis and all independent suspension that used coil springs at the front and torsion bars at the rear. The vehicle used rack and pinion steering and featured sophisticated features Lockheed brakes with 12-inch drums at the front and 11 inches at the rear mounted inboard.
In 1949 The Motor magazine tested a drophead version and estimated it had a top speed of 90.2 mph and could achieve 0-60mph in just 17.6 seconds. The 2.6-Litre had 17 mpg and cost around £3,420 including taxes or $5,669 U.S. dollars. Despite carrying a higher than average pricetag, and being introduced so soon after the war, the 2.6-Litre sold quite well. The end of production in 1953 produced around 510 units.
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_2.6-Litre http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lagonda/unspecified/1636319.html By Jessica Donaldson