Daimler introduced the Mercedes 24/100/140 PS model in 1924. The 24 in the name indicated taxable horsepower for the German government, while the 100 was the output of the engine in normally aspirated use and 140 when the supercharger was engaged for short periods of time. The 24/100/140 continued in production after Mercedes' 1926 merged with Benz & Cie, though the model designation was soon reclassified as the Type 630.
The 24/100/140 PS was the work of the company's chief engineer Ferdinand Porsche. It made its debut in December of 1924 at the Berlin Motor Show. This 6.3-liter version was introduced alongside a 4.0-liter version, both had six-cylinder engines and both had engageable superchargers.
The six-cylinder engine had single overhead camshafts and a large 150 mm stroke. It had a Roots supercharger and a single Daimler carburetor. There were cable operated drum brakes, and a four-speed gearbox with a multi-plate dry disc clutch. Initially, the gear lever was located to the driver's right, directly outside the door. Later, it was repositioned in the middle of the floor to the driver's left side. The suspension setup was conventional, with rigid beam axles and semi-elliptic leaf springs.
The new Mercedes was available with standard coachwork from the Mercedes catalog, or as a rolling chassis ready for custom coachwork. The catalog bodies included a 'Tourenwagen', a six-seater Pullman-Limousine, a six-passenger Landaulet, a Coupe-Limousine, and a four-door four seater Cabriolet.
In 1926, a short wheelbase version was introduced, and given the Model K designation. (The 'K' indicated 'Kurz' or short).
The Mercedes-Benz 630 K was later replaced by an even larger version dubbed the 680 S, which included the SSK model.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2017