1942 Chrysler Windsor Town and Country
This 1942 Chrysler Town & Country is one of the very last civilian vehicles produced in January 1942. It came off the assembly line one month after Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, and just before Chrysler built Sherman tanks began rolling off the assembly lines.
Not only is this vehicle one of the rarest of T&C vehicles, only the pre-war T&C were in this configuration, it is one of two remaining 'black out' vehicles. Thanks to Tojo and Hitler the monochrome paint scheme predated our current monochrome paint schemes by 50 years. Most of the typically chromed trim is painted and the overall level of trim is even less than the regular, pre-war, production vehicles.
Richard Larger rescued this rare vehicle from the burning 'Hough' area of Cleveland in 1966. The vehicle mileage was a 22k at the time and it essentially had not been driven for the previous 15 years. The original owner, E.S. Carpenter, had used the vehicle for his industrial training film company in the 1940's and was very meticulous about its care. The vehicle has reportedly never seen snow and its rarely been exposed to rain. All of the wood and interior are completely original owing to the low protected use of the car during its first years.
1941 and 1942 Town & Country are unique from their post-war successors; they are not the sedan and convertible models that were produced from 1946 to 1951. These pre-war vehicles are also not station wagons but rather a combination of sedan and wagon. Built on the Windsor sedan chassis these cars were mostly hand built and only 1,100 vehicles were produced before war production in 1942. Fewere than 200 6 passenger vehicles, like this, were produced and less than 20 are now known to remain.
This 1942 Chrysler Town & Country sedan was one of the last civilian vehicles produced before Chrysler turned their full focus to production of Sherman tanks for the war effort. This car rolled off the assembly line on January 20, 1942 and all civilian vehicle production ceased in February.
This woody is known as a 'black-out' model due to its lack of bright trim. Materials such as chrome, nickel, copper, steel and rubber were considered government priority-requiring the trim on the 1942 vehicles to be deleted or painted.
This Chrysler Town & Country sedan is one of only 1,000 produced in 1942. Only 20 of the 150 six-passenger models built survive today. This Town & Country was originally purchased by E.S. Carpenter for ESCAR Motion Picture Services before being obtained by the current owner.
This Chrysler Town & Country Barrelback Wagon was purchased new in Allegan, Michigan by MarJo Farms and then kept in a regional museum. It was later allowed to deteriorate with a fallen tree in the rear window. The current owners started restoration in 1994 by replacing the wood to original specifications. The car was completed to its original color and trim.
The current owner of this 6-passenger Wagon was rescued from the burning 'Hough' area of Cleveland in 1966. It has its original wood and interior and may be the last Town & Country produced before Chrysler converted to war production in 1942.
Sold for $462,000 at 2014 Gooding & Company - The Scottsdale Auction. Barrelback Wagon
Chassis #: 70511693
Engine #: C-34-19846
Chrysler's designer 'Buzz' Grisinger penned some drawings circa 1938 that later became the Chrysler Town and Country which was championed by Chrysler Corporation General Manager Dave Wallace. The vehicles were designed as a limited-production meant to generate showroom traffic. The body style was a fastback sedan rather than a station wagon, with the first-series Town and country models commonly known as the 'Barrelback' due to their curved profile and clamshell rear doors. Chrysler offered both a six- and nine-passenger version.
In the 1970s, this nine-passenger model was in the care of Harold Mermel who bought it from a friend in New York City as a solid-running car with original woodwork. This Barrelback was complete with original items including the rear-fender skirts and a proper set of 12-inch unscripted hubcaps. During the early 1990s, Mr. Mermel sold it to Lloyd Mayes. Mr Mayes treated the car to a complete, body-off restoration with new and correct woodwork fitted. The car's original color was Royal Maroon; the color was changed to St. Clair Blue, a factory-correct color with red leather interior.
During the 1990s, the car was acquired from Mr. Mayes by Robert Brelsford of Palm Springs, California. Under Mr. Brelsford's ownership, the car was exhibited in the special Chrysler Town and Country class at the 2001 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
The current owner acquired the car in 2011.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014
The car has a roof-mounted luggage rack, a 4-speed 'Vacamatic' Vacuum-assisted semi-automatic transmission, hydraulic drum brakes, and a 250 CID 'Spitfire' L-Head 6-cylinder engine.
Produced only from 1941 through 1950, the first woodie wagon with an all-steel roof was designated the Town & Country. This 4-door sedan luxury vehicle was built for either city or estate transportation, and was available for 6 or 9 passenger versions.
Due to World War II, production of the Town & Country was halted in December, 1941. A mere 1,000 models were produced during 1941 and 1942. In 1942 the sheet metal was updated, and the design of woodie remained similar to its previous look.
Following the war, the new wave of Town & Country woodies were produced in much larger numbers as coupes, convertibles, sedans. The first production hardtops ever produced by any manufacture, seven 2-door hardtops were also manufactured by Chrysler. The final Town & Country woodie models were produced only as 2-door hardtops only for the last year.
By Jessica Donaldson
In the last year of its production, a box type woodie station wagon was offered by both Chrysler and Desoto. Plymouth and Dodge also released box type woodie wagon throughout the 1930's and 1940's. In 1950, production of the original Town & Country was ended.