Sold for $132,000 at 2007 Vintage Motor Cars at Hershey.Sold for $77,000 at 2010 RM Auctions - Automobiles of Arizona.
Sales dropped by 37 percent in 1907, an indication to Henry Leland that Cadillac should focus more heavily on developing multi-cylinder cars. The decline in sales was only temporary, as an ambitious Cadillac salesman in London, England named Frederick S. Bennett aided in reversing Cadillac's slump. He had been importing Cadillac's into Europe since 1903 and saw an opportunity to showcase the cars potential by entering three examples in Sir Thomas Dewar's annual trophy event. The three cars were disassembled, the parts shuffled, and then reassembled to new. This was overseen by the Royal Automobile Club. After the three cars were put back together, even using 89 parts from stock to prove interchangeability, they started and were drivable. This demonstration of interchangeability, plus being awarded the Dewar Trophy, gave the Cadillac marque instant worldwide recognition and spawned the slogan 'Standard of the World.'
The Cadillac Model S was introduced in 1907 and in 1908 the wheelbase was extended to 82 inches with overall length of the car being 10 feet and one inch, and fitted with full running boards that replaced the step plates. This Model S has 24-inch, 12-spoke, wooden wheels. Standard tires were 30-inch X 3-inch; however, this example was upgraded with 30-inch x 3-1/2 inch tires when it was sold new in California.
This chain-driven car is powered by a one-cylinder, 7-horsepower engine and was the last year Cadillac used the one-cylinder engine. It is equipped with a planetary transmission with 2-forward and 1-reverse gears. Braking is accomplished by brakes on two wheels; contracting on inboard drums.
Some of the options for the 1908 Cadillac Model G were:
- Headlights, 30 x 3.5 inch tires $50
- Rubber top with side curtains & storm apron $60
- Leather top with side curtains & storm apron $80
- Victoria style top (Factory installed only) $175
This car was restored in 2003 back to the way it left the factory. The body is painted green with red striping and black molding. The chassis is painted Carmine red with gold striping. The upholstery is black hand-buffed leather.
This 1908 Cadillac Model S Tulip Roadster was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $125,000 - $150,000 and offered without reserve. It sold for within the estimated value at $132,000 including buyer's premium.
There were a total of 2,377 Cadillac cars built in 1908.
Cadillac Automobile Company originally shipped this car to Mr. Claude Nolan who was a Jacksonville Cadillac distributor for most of Florida, parts of Georgia and as far north as Charleston, SC. It was sold to O.P. Woodcock, a prominent builder, and was later reacquired by the Claude Nolan dealership.
The WideTrack designation is the result of the destination of the vehicle. If the car was to be sold in rural areas at the time, the Widetrack version was provided to enhance stability on non-paved roads.
Except for a repaint to red, the car remains in original condition until restored in 2001/2002. As shown, the car is finished as originally delivered with the same colors, pin striping, leather, and equipment.
Claude Nolan Cadillac, Inc., remains in the family and is one of the oldest continuous Cadillac dealerships in the nation.