1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale

1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale
Coupe
Designer: Pininfarina
Chassis #: 2821 GT
Engine #: 2821
Sold for $2,365,000 at 2014 Gooding & Company - The Scottsdale Auction.
This Ferrari 250 GT Coupe Speciale is one of a very few special-bodied 250 GTs built during the initial run of the 250 GTs and GTOs. Built on the short-wheelbase chassis with the Lampredi-designed 3-liter V12 engine, the design combines a sporty 250 GT front-end with the more rounded rear of the luxurious 400 Superamerica.

Five different Speciales were produced, including the 250 GTO prototype with rather similar lines. This car is one of the last pair of Speciales to be built and shown by Ferrari at the 1961 London Motor Show.

The history of this 250 GT begins in June of 1961, when Ferrari sent 2821 GT - a 508E chassis - to the Pinin Farina factory in Torino. It was equipped with all the latest advances introduced for the 250 GT series, including four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes, an outside-plug Tipo 128E engine, and a central gearshift location.

The car was originally commissioned as a 'Cabriolet Speciale', according to the factory build sheets, but when the bare chassis arrived at Pinin Farina, the decision was made to create a unique Coupe Speicale that combined the elements of the 250 GT Coupe with the recently introduced 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamica.

The car has a one-off Pinin Farina body with the front section of the 250 GT, a hood scoop, and auxiliary driving lights located behind the eggcrate grille. From the windscreen back, the coachwork was nearly identical to the Coupe Aerodinamica, carrying over the model's curved A-pillars, fastback design, and distinctive rear-end treatment.

Pinin Farina outfitted the cockpit with the standard 250 GT dashboard arrangement with several bespoke appointments, such as a luggage shelf, an armrest with locking map compartment, and a Superamerica-style center console.

The car was finished in Celeste and upholstered in blue Connolly leather.

After completion, the car was shipped to England aboard the Silver City Airways Bristol Superfreighter and unveiled to the public at the 46th London Motor Show held at the Earls Court Exhibition Centre October 18, 1961 through October 28, 1961.

In November, official UK Ferrari dealer Maranello Concessionaires Ltd. sold the car to its first owner, Mr. Mason, who maintained residences in both Jersey and in Portugal.

In 1971, after passing through the ownership of British dealer Brian Classic, the car was sold to William Kidd of Woodland Hills, California. In the fall of 1978, Mr. Kidd offered the Coupe Speciale for sale, describing as completely original with 49,000 miles. The following year, it was sold to Lorenzo Zambrano through Dutch broker Rudy Pas.

The car was sold to John W. Mecom Jr. of Houston, Texas in 1982. After two years in the Mecom Jr. collection, the car was sold to Leonard Blamock of Dallas, Texas, and subsequently passed through several US collectors including Stan Makres of Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

In 1988, Karl Schaffrath of Cologne, Germany, acquired the car. It would not remain in Europe for very long, as it was sold to Don Young of Santa Barbara, California, in May of 1989. It remained with Mr. Young for three years. In 1992, Lorenzo Zambrano re-acquired 2821 GT and displayed it at that year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. During the 1990s, the car was selectively display, with an appearance at Concorso Italiano in 1994 and in the Petersen Automotive Museum's Ferrari at 50th Exhibition.

In the late 1990s, Mr. Zambrano commissioned a complete restoration. Upon completion, it was shown at the 2001 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where it was displayed in Class M-2, Ferrari Grand Touring where it was selected as First in Class. It was then shown at the Ferrari Club of America national Meeting and Concours in Los Angeles, where it received la Platinum Award. It has recently been shown at the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in the care of its current owner.

Ferrari built just five 250 GTs with custom coachwork in the style of the 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamica. There is also the 250 GT Sperimentale, a Scuderia Ferrari-prepared competition car that served as the prototype to the 250 GTO. The other examples, chassis number 2429 GT, 2613 GT, and 3615 GT, were built on Ferrari's improved, late-production chassis, with Dunlop disc brakes and the more robust outside-plug V-12.

1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale
Cabriolet
Designer: Pininfarina
Chassis #: 1737 GT
This Ferrari 250 is a custom-bodied Cabriolet Speciale with chassis number 1737 built on a 2400mm short wheelbase. While coachbuilder Pininfarina was creating unique Ferraris at this time for royalty and the wealthy, this example was specifically made for display at the Geneva Motor Show, presented in March 1960 as a featured automobile.

Wanting to impress the crowds, Pininfarina and Ferrari paid great attention to detail both in and out. The body style showed resemblance to the Ferrari 400 of the era, with covered headlights, three-part rear lights and a notched rear trunk. With performance in mind, the engine is a 300 horsepower, V12 Tipo 128F competition unit from a 250 TR 'Testa Rossa,' which was a successful racing car for Ferrari. Inside the cockpit is a lavish interior that was the best Pininfarina had to offer at the time. The car is capable of 0-60 in just over six seconds, and has a top speed of over 150 mph.

After display, it was sold in France and had several owners before coming to the United States in 1979. The car was purchased by the current owner in 1988 and restored by Classic Coach Repair in 1993.

The restored car was first presented at the International Ferrari Concours in 1994. During that weekend, it was also shown at Concorso Italiano at the Quail Lodge, and Pebble Beach where it was awarded a Second in Class. In 1995 it was named Best of Show at the Cavallino Classic.

1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Speciale
Cabriolet
Designer: Pininfarina
Chassis #: 1737 GT
Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Speciale with chassis number 1737GT is the 60th one created and carries Pinin Farina job number 22495. It is a left hand drive vehicle with covered headlights and an optional hardtop. It March of 1960 it appeared at the Geneva Motor Show as a featured automobile. It was purchased by Maitre Villard of Paris in the 1960 who kept the car for over ten years before selling it to Philippe Vernholes in 1971. The car has changed hands a few times during the years before becoming the property of Oscar Davis in 1988. It was shown at the International Ferrari Concours in 1994. During that weekend, it was also shown at Concorso Italiano at the Quail Lodge, and the famous Pebble Beach Concours where it was awarded a Second in Class. At the Jerry Molitor Ferrari meeting, it was awarded as Best of Show. In 1995 it was named Best of Show at the Cavallino Classic.

Davis has shown the car at a number of events, including the New York Concours in 2005. It has been to the Cavallino Classic on a number of occasions, as well as a number of other Ferrari events.


By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.

Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.

Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.

The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).

The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.

The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.

At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.

In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.

At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.

From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.

Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.

There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.

In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.

The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.

The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.

The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.

1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.

Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.

Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.

Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.

For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.

For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.

For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.

The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory.


By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007

Concepts by Ferrari



Recent Vehicle Additions

Performance and Specification Comparison

Model Year Production

#1#2#3Ferrari
1965Chevrolet (2,375,118)Ford (2,170,795)Volkswagen (1,174,687)700
1964Chevrolet (2,318,619)Ford (1,594,053)Toyota (1,068,321)
1963Chevrolet (2,237,201)Ford (1,525,404)Fiat (957,941)
1962Chevrolet (2,061,677)Ford (1,476,031)Fiat (957,941)
1961Ford (1,338,790)Chevrolet (1,318,014)Volkswagen (807,488)
1960Chevrolet (1,653,168)Ford (1,439,370)Toyota (1,068,321)
1959Chevrolet (1,462,140)Ford (1,450,953)Volkswagen (575,407)
1958Chevrolet (1,142,460)Ford (987,945)Volkswagen (451,526)
1957Ford (1,676,449)Chevrolet (1,505,910)Plymouth (726,009)
1956Chevrolet (1,567,117)Ford (1,408,478)Meteor (1,408,478)
1955Chevrolet (1,704,667)Ford (1,451,157)Buick (738,814)

Related Automotive News

Salon Privé Pays Tribute To 60 Years Of Short Wheelbase Style, Elegance & Excitement; The Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta

Salon Privé Pays Tribute To 60 Years Of Short Wheelbase Style, Elegance & Excitement; The Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta

Amazing line-up of 8 Ferrari GT 250 SWBs confirmed for Salon Privé 3 historic competition cars all with notable racing achievements 5 Road cars including 1st RHD 250 GT SWB built to semi-comp spe...
Ferrari Royalty Set to Headline RM Sotheby's Arizona Auction

Ferrari Royalty Set to Headline RM Sotheby's Arizona Auction

FERRARI 250 GT COUPE SPECIALE AND LAFERRARI APERTA LEAD FIRST SALE OF 2019 One-off 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe Speciale originally delivered to Princess Lilian de Réthy of Belgium set to star...
From First Italian Grand Prix Winner To Last Four-Cylinder Ferrari: Concours Of Elegance Reveals World-Class Line-Up

From First Italian Grand Prix Winner To Last Four-Cylinder Ferrari: Concours Of Elegance Reveals World-Class Line-Up

Concours of Elegance will be bringing a collection of around 60 of the finest cars ever built, from pre-1900 to the modern day, to Hampton Court Palace from 31 Aug - 2 Sep Whether its the unique go...
Ferrari: Under The Skin

Ferrari: Under The Skin

15 November 2017 - 15 April 2018 Major exhibition announced by the Design Museum in London to mark the 70th anniversary of Ferrari £140M worth of Ferraris featured in exhibition displaying ca...
From Russo With Love! Ferrari with 007 Pedigree to Cross the Block at Russo and Steele Monterey!

From Russo With Love! Ferrari with 007 Pedigree to Cross the Block at Russo and Steele Monterey!

1970 Ferrari 365 22 with 007 Pedigree Set to Cross the Block at Russo and Steeles 16th Annual Monterey Collector Automobile Auction Event! Scottsdale, Arizona (June 24th, 2016) – First...
© 1998-2020. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Vehicle information, history, and specifications from concept to production.

Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed

Conceptcarz.com
© 1998-2020 Conceptcarz.com Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.