The Maserati brothers, Alferi Maserati, Bindo Maserati, Carlo Maserati, Ettore Maserati, Enesto Maserati and Mario Maserati, loved automobiles. Alfieri, Bindo and Ernesto built 2-liter Grand Prix cars for Diatto. In 1926, Diatto suspended the produti....[continue reading]
The Maserati A6G/54 evolved from the A6G shown at the Paris Motor Show in 1951. It had a 6-cylinder engine giving over 150 bhp. In all, 63 A6Gs were built over three years. This is a unique Zagato-bodied A6G/54 that started life as a 'regular' Zagato....[continue reading]
Pietro Frua was one of Italy's most renowned coachbuilders. His worked clothed everything from Ferraris to Rolls-Royces, and the designs were equally as vast, ranging from calm to outrageous. ....[continue reading]
When the A6G/54 was introduced, many believed that this new car was simply a coach-built variation of the successful A6GCS sports racer. In reality, it was a road-going sport car that shared its basic underpinnings with the A6GCS. The A6G/54 was powe....[continue reading]
Between 1954 and 1956 Maserati built 60 A6G/54 bare chassis. The 2-liter engine was a Colombo-designed twin-overhead-cam unit with a lightweight alloy block, using dual ignition and triple Weber carburetors. It had a wet sump lubrication system and d....[continue reading]
The Maserati A6G 2000 was a road-going version of the competition A6GCS. The 2-liter A6GCS straight-6 engine was tuned by Vittorio Bellentani to provide better performance. The chassis was constructed by renowned chassis builder Gilco, and between 19....[continue reading]
Zagato built many coupe bodies for the twin-cam Maserati A6G, but only this example sported Zagato's trademark double-bubble roof. This A6G when new was driven in the Mille Miglia but failed to finish, and after its competition career it was sold to ....[continue reading]
In the wake of the racing success of the A6GCS, Maserati redesigned the car as a road-going sports model. The 2-liter high performance sports chassis were sent to various Italian coachwork houses to be crafted into tourers or race cars as needed. Mas....[continue reading]
The first cars suitable for both track and public roads were the A6G with racing engines in 1949. To meet demand in the early 1950s Maserati turned to Coachbuilder Zagato to create an alloy body for a GT car weighing less than 1,800 pounds using airc....[continue reading]
The 2-liter 6-cylinder Maserati A6 was launched in 1950 at the Turin Motor Show, and 1954 witnessed an improved version with an overhead twin-camshaft engine in the A6G/54. Between 1954 and 1956 a total of sixty A6Gs were built. The coachwork for all....[continue reading]
Throughout the 1950s Maserati would be responsible for designing and building some truly elegant and striking automobiles for the track and the road. Meant to replace the A6G, Maserati would introduce its A6G/2000 in 1954. Known as the 'Gran Turismo'....[continue reading]
The Maserati A6G was the company's first high-performance Grand touring car built on a race-bred chassis with a 6-cylinder, 2-liter engine, refined and updated from the earlier A6GCS sports and racing cars. Maserati built 76 examples between 1955 and....[continue reading]
The Maserati inline 6-cylinder engine grew to a two-liter displacement size in 1950. The resulting A6G 2000 continued to use single-overhead cam valve actuation of the original A6, while a more powerful sports-racing A6 GCS built for competition appl....[continue reading]
Maserati introduced the A6G/54 in 1954 at the Paris Auto Show. It was an evolution of Maserati's first postwar sports car - the A6 series. The A6G/54 was fitted with many features found on the A6GCS including the brakes, steering, and suspension comp....[continue reading]
2000 Spyder by Frua
Chassis #: 2190
Berlinetta by Allemano
Chassis #: 2117
Coupe by Frua
Chassis #: 2181
Chassis #: 2155
Chassis #: 2121
Berlinetta by Allemano
Chassis #: 2124
Coupe by Frua
Chassis #: 2140
Berlinetta by Allemano
Chassis #: 2147
Chassis #: 2180
Chassis #: 2186
Even though the company was not in financial difficulty, the Maserati brothers sold their shares of the company to the Orsi family from Modena in 1937. The headquarters were moved from Bologna to Modena. When they sold the company, the brothers had agreed to stay with Maserati for another ten years performing duties as chief engineers. In 1948, after their ten year agreement was satisfied, they left the company and formed OSCA.
With the chief engineers gone, the company was positioned for failure, but the company did have a strong history and more importantly, they had a newly developed straight six engine, courtesy of the Maserati brothers. The engine produced by Maserati brothers was nothing spectacular; the 1.5-liter power-plant produced 65 horsepower. It was, however, a good starting point and would prove to be very tunable in the years to come. The primary intention for the engine was competition, but Orsi understood that money needed to be made, so that it could be spent. So Orsi commissioned a sports road car that could be produced for exclusive clientele.
In 1947 Maserti introduced the Maserati A6 with custom coachwork by Pinin Farina. Under the hood was the 1.5-liter single overhead camshaft engine matted to a four-speed gearbox. The steel tubular frame was suspended by a live rear axle and a front wishbone suspension. Even though Pinin Farina is noted for their elegant styling, their design of the A6 was not well received. Coupled with the poor performance, the vehicle was not well received.
Modifications were performed on the engine resulting in an increase to 2 liters and 100 horsepower. Three updated versions of the A6 were displayed at the 1951 Paris Motorshow. The Berlina body styles were created by Pinin Farina and were the standard style; the Spider variants were created by Frua; and the Coupe was courtesy of Vignale. With all the mechanical improvements and bodystyle options available, the two-liter A6 was poised for success. With only 16 examples created, the A6 proved it needed more work.
The famous Gioacchino Colombo, known for his work with Ferrari, joined Maserati in 1953. His first task was to modify the A6GCM to include a DOHC valve train, dual-spark ignition, and more. Horsepower rose to nearly 200. The success of Maserati in racing was heightened with the new engine and new drivers such as Fangio, Gonzalez, Marimon, Bonetto and de Graffenried. Fangio had won the 1953 Italian Grand prix driving a Ferrari.
The third iteration of the A6 occurred in 1954, dubbed the A6G/54. This was the same year for the introduction of the Maserati 250F, which, in the hands of the capable Fangio won the Argentine Grand Prix on its debut. The A6G/54 was outfitted with a competitive engine and wonderful styling from Frua and Zagato. Production lasted until 1954 with multiple types of body styles being created. One of the most memorable bodystyles were the 19 lightweight Zagato bodies which could often be seen at race tracks. All of the Zagato hand-formed body styles were unique, even the interior.
The Maseati A6GCS was produced from 1953 through 1955 with a total of 52 examples being constructed. Four where Berlinetta bodies by Pininfarina while 48 were in Spyder configuration and bodied by Fantuzi. The A6GCS were very important to Maserati and scored many victories for the marque. In 1953 the A6GCs won its class at the Mille Miglia in its inaugural debut.
The Maserati A6G/2000 was produced from 1954 through 1957 with around 60 examples being created, many receiving custom bodywork from prestigious coachbuilders such as Zagato, Pinin Farina, Vignale, and others. Serafino Allemano constructed twenty-one examples of the A6G/2000. All of these cars were equipped with the DOHC engines. The A6G/2000 is some times referred to as the A6G/54. These second series cars used many mechanical components from its predecessor, such as its twin parallel tube design. The engine, however, had been modified which resulted in an increase in horsepower.
The A6G/54 was replaced by the 3500 GT. The A6 endured many growing pains but by the final iteration, the A6 variants were respectable and stylish machines. With the mechanical prowess of Colombo and the driving talent of Fangio and others, Maserati could continue to provide competition on the race track. While back at home, the A6 provided the bread-and-butter to continue racing and further development. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2007
Gooding %26 Company will showcase a selection ofSanta Monica, Calif. (July 18, 2018) – Gooding %26 Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance®, is proud to present a stunning...
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 20, 2017) — Just a week ago, Bruce R. McCaws 1929 Mercedes-Benz S Barker Tourer emerged from the restoration shop of Steve Babinsky in Lebanon, New Jersey. Today, having crossed...