This 1927 Marmon E-75 Speedster Phaeton has a custom body constructed by the Locke Coachbuilding Company. The Locke company had facilities in New York City and Rochester. The Rochester facility handled mostly convertible bodies as well as series production, when marque's wanted to buy a series of custom bodies. By doing so, the cost of construction would decline and the savings could be passed on to the customer. The Locke Company built their bodies atop of many prestigious marque's during their long career, lasting from the early 1900's through 1937. The Great Depression was a difficult time for the company and forced them to close their facilities. From 1932 through 1937, they painted and refurbished cars.
This Marmon E-75 has a convertible top, four doors, and a rear mounted spare tire. It was brought to the 2006 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it participated in both the tour and the concours.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2007
This 1927 Marmon E 75 Speedster has a body by E. H. Wilson, Moline, Illinois. The custom aluminum body was used as a prototype for the 1927 line. 1927 was the 75th Anniversary of Nordyke-Marmon, thus the E 75 Model.
This car is one of two Wilson Bodied E75's.
The Marmon brand name was manufactured by Nordyke & Marmon Company, located in Indianapolis, Indiana and produced automobiles from 1903 through 1933. The Marmon automobiles are most remembered for their impressive V-16 engine introduced during the early 1930s as well as introducing the rear-view mirror.
The Model 32 featured rear-view mirrors, and was the first vehicle ever with this feature. It is also responsible for the creation of the Wasp, the winner of the first Indianapolis 500 race. The name 'Wasp' was chosen due to its yellow color and pointed tail.
At the 1911 Indianapolis 500 race, the Marmon was the only vehicle equipped with a single seat, rather than the popular two-seat configuration. The first seat was for the driver while the second seat housed the mechanic. Many people were critical of the single seat configuration. They felt it unsafe because the driver would not be aware of other cars overtaking him. A solution was devised by the Marmon crew to install a rear-view mirror on the vehicle, the first of its kind according to many historians.
In 1916 the Marmon 34 was introduced as an evolution of the Model 32. The Model 34B was powered by an overhead-valve six-cylinder engine comprised mostly of aluminum. Aluminum was used throughout many parts of the vehicle including the body, radiator and hood. Its 340 cubic-inch displacement produced 34 horsepower, thus its name - 'the 34'. The Model 34 was available in a variety of body-styles including roadsters, speedsters, touring, and limousine, to name a few. The only wheelbase size available was 136 inches. Weight was in the neighborhood of 3300 pounds. Production of the Model 34 continued until 1924 which it was replaced with the Model 74 and 75.
As a publicity stunt and to gain media attention about the new Model 34, a Marmon 34 was driven across American in under six days. This beat 'Cannonball' Maker's time record.
The transmission is an unsynchronized three-speed manual unit in the H pattern. Mechanical rear brakes provide the stopping power.
The Model 74
series was produced in 1925 and 1926. It was powered by the six-cylinder engine used in the Model 34. The Model E-75
was introduced in 1927 and produced until 1928; it too was powered by the Model 34 six-cylinder engine.
The use of aluminum was still a priority for Marmon. Custom coachbuilders such as E. H. Wilson and Locke were given the opportunity to provide bodies for the vehicles.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006