1913 Stutz Series BH
arry C. Stutz early attempts and experiments with the automobile began in the late 1890s and opened a small machine shop in Dayton in 1899 which was later called the Stutz Manufacturing Company. Using what was available including agricultural parts, he created a vehicle which he called Old Hickory. Another vehicle was built in 1900 and both of these vehicles were experimental. Stutz built a single-cylinder gasoline powered engine of his own design, later selling the rights to the Lindsay Automobile Parts Company of Indianapolis. He moved to Indianapolis to supervise its manufacture and production. In mid-1903, he left the company and went to the Central Motor Car Company, and by 1904 he was at the G&J Tire Company, then went to the Schebler Carburetor Company. Several other employments followed.
By 1910, Stutz had the experience and resources to form the Stutz Auto Parts Company. Within a few weeks, he had built the car that would be taken to the Indianapolis track to partake in the inaugural running of the 500. This was 'The Car That Made Good in a Day' and cemented the company's position into the history books. The Stutz was driven by Gil Anderson to an impressive 11th place finish, which did not earn any prize money but it did birth the well-known slogan.
The Stutz Bearcat was offered the public in 1912 and was essentially a road-worthy version of the Stutz racer that competed at Indy. It was a true sports car that had nothing but the bare essentials. It had two bucket seats and no windshield or convertible top. It had a low-slung chassis which gave it a lower center of gravity, good handling characteristics, and lightweight design. The early examples used proprietary Wisconsin engines and Stutz's own rear three-speed transaxle. The Wisconsin engine had a twin-camshaft 'T-Head' design, with inlet valves on one side of the block and exhausts on the other. It displaced 6.4-liters and offered 50 horsepower. This engine would be used until 1917 when Stutz began to manufacture their own engines.
Stutz also offered a 60 horsepower six-cylinder engine for 1912 and the Bearcat model was available on both chassis. Stutz built 266 vehicles in 1912 followed by 759 the following year. Bodystyles included a Roadster, Tourer, Bearcat, and Toy Tonneau.by Daniel Vaughan | May 2019
Related Reading : Stutz Bearcat History
The Stutz Bearcat was produced from 1914 through 1924. The first version was produced from 1914 to 1917 and was powered by a 6388 cc four-cylinder engine. The Bearcat was a creation inspired by a Indy sports car racer built by the Stutz Motor Company in 1911. It was powered by a 361 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine that produced 50 horsepower. The Bearcat continued the tradition of lightweight....Continue Reading >>
This 1913 Stutz Bearcat sold new for $2,300. The distinctive bark of the Stutz Bearcat's 4-cylinder, T-Head, 50-horsepower, engine was as distinctive in its day as the Harley-Davidson is today. Harry Clayton Stutz, at the age of 21 in 1897, built a....[continue reading]
After making its name as a producer of race-bred sporting machines as embodied in the famous and minimal Bearcat, Stutz offered several 'more civilized' options, such as this four-passenger touring car, built on a 124-inch wheelbase. Restored by Harr....[continue reading]
After designing the American Underslung while working at the Marion Motor Car Company, Harry C. Stutz decided to build a race car under his own name. He did so over the course of just five weeks in 1911, then he took the car to the inaugural Indianap....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 911
Engine Num: 5855
This 1913 Stutz is a Series A Bearcat. The early history is not known but by 1991 it was advertised in Hemmings Motor News as a project car. It caught the attention of Mr. Robert Randolph and the disassembled project was delivered to the shop of Paul....[continue reading]