David Buick founded the company that grew into the General Motors Corporation of America, one of the mightiest car - making empires in the world. Over 17,000,000 cars bearing his name and crest have rolled off production lines, yet he was involved in making only 120 of them. Incorporated on May 19, 1903, ground was broken for the first Buick engine plant on September 11, 1903, with funding from Flint Wagon Works, and operations were moved from Detroit to Flint, MI. In 1907 Buick built its first production four-cylinder car, the Model D.
Buick built two series of cars in 1925, the Standard with a 190.8 cubic-inch, 50 horsepower straight six, overhead valve engine and the Master with a 255 cubic-inch 70 horsepower straight 6, overhead valve engine.
Price new: $2225.00, Master Series Production: 4,200 vehicles.
1925 was the year Buick made the decision to use only six-cylinder engines - both the Standard and larger Master Six.
Buick introduced the 'Enclosed Touring' model in 1925 and for the first time closed cars outsold open models in the Buick line. 1925 was also the first year for nitrocellulose lacquer which replaced the varnish-color finish process. This was also the same year that Buick equipped its cars with balloon tires.
Sold for $52,250 at 2012 RM Sothebys. The last of the four-cylinder Buicks disappeared after 1924. For 1925, both the Standard and Master lines had six-cylinder power. The 'six' featured Buick's trademark 'valve-in-head' overhead valve design, the legacy of famed Buick engineer Walter L. Marr.
Buick offered a wide model range and built an enviable reputation as a maker of stylish and reliable cars fitted with advanced engineering. They offered a number of attractive open and closed body styles clothed in a plethora of distinctive color combinations.
The Model 25-54 3-Passenger Sport Coupe was priced at $1,785 with 1,917 examples produced. They had a relatively long 128 inch wheelbase and came with many distinctive standard features including a windshield-mounted sun visor, a golf-bag door, a rumble seat, dual whitewall spare tires mounted at the rear, step plates and a Moto-Meter to monitor engine coolant temperatures.
This Model 25-54 Sport Roadster wears an older restoration. It was acquired by the current owner in the Denver, Colorado area. Prior to that, it was displayed within a showroom for approximately 4 decades. The car is powered by an overhead valve six-cylinder engine that displaces 255 cubic-inches and offers 70 horsepower. There is a three-speed sliding gear manual transmission with four-wheel mechanical drum brakes.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the RM Auction's Amelia Island sale. It was estimated to sell for $45,000 - $55,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $52,250 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Buick used the Master Six name beginning in the mid-1920s. The 1925 Buick used the same engine used in the 24-Six of 1924. Several new body styles became available during this year. The Standard Six engine produced 50 horsepower while the Master Six was fitted with a 70 horsepower engine. The Standard Six bodystyles rested on a wheelbase that measured 114.3-inches while the Master Six had a 120- or 128-inch platform.
The name Master Six would continue through 1928. By 1928, the horsepower in the Standard Six was rated at 63 horsepower while the Master Six had 77 horsepower. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009