Sold for $24,750 at 2007 RM Sothebys. his 1954 Mercury Sun Valley was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook where it was listed without reserve and estimated to fetch between $30,000 - $40,000. The car is powered by a V8 engine that displaces 292 cubic-inches and capable of producing nearly 200 horsepower. The car has a three-speed automatic gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. This car has been treated to a recent cosmetic restoration. The vehicle is original in many respects, including the engine, paint, upholstery, transmission, and more. All are reported to be in good running condition. This car was given the optional power steering and brakes when it was purchased by its original owner.
At auction, this car did find a buyer though the winning bid was a little less than the estimated value. It was sold for $24,750. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
The Montclair was Mercury's premium model and within this group was the Sun Valley, which was one of the more innovative bodystyles. The car incorporated many unique features not seen on other vehicles. The front half of the roof was made from a tinted Plexiglass which gave it a feeling of a glass-roof. This design feature would be more likely to be found on a concept car rather than a production vehicle, but Mercury made it a reality. The Plexiglas roof was basically an extension of the windshield and provided excellent visibility for the driver and passengers. The exterior of the vehicles were finished in two-tone paint and featured the Montclair's chrome trim. The interior was adorned with many luxury appointments, including an air-conditioning unit. Buyers were hesitant to purchase the car because they felt the exposed roof would increase the interior temperature. In reality, the car only got about five degrees hotter than those with a fully enclosed roof. To help ease customer's concerns, the cars were given standard snap-on interior shade. Still, people were reluctant to buy and the model persisted for only a short time, lasting from 1954 and discontinued after 1956. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007