2008 FORD EDGE INJECTS NEW ENERGY AND FEATURES IN FORD'S CROSSOVER LINEUP
• Infotainment and Connectivity. For 2008, Edge offers the latest in state-of-the-art features, including Ford Sync? hands-free communication and entertainment system, voice-activated navigation, SIRIÚS® Satellite Radio, rear DVD entertainment system and MP3/audio input jack.
• Flexibility and Convenience. A new liftgate handle design, new power liftgate option and available EasyFold™ second-row seats make it easy to load and unload cargo.
• Bold Design. New-for-2008 features include the addition of a Limited Series, a new Interior Appearance Package, class-exclusive 20-inch chrome wheels, plus four new exterior colors.
• Standard Ford Safety. Standard safety features abound, including Ford's industry-leading Advance Trac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control), seat-mounted side air bags, Safety Canopy™ side air curtains and Ford's Personal Safety System.
The Ford Edge crossover continues to energize the Ford brand in the hottest vehicle segment in the Únited States. Ford's new crossover distinguishes itself with bold, American design, a flexible interior, dynamic driving character and a host of innovative features.
The Edge delivers spirited performance, fuel efficiency and a smooth, quiet ride from its class-exclusive 265-horsepower V-6 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
Edge also delivers on safety, with a host of standard safety features including Ford's exclusive AdvanceTrac® with RSC®. Edge boasts a Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and achieved front and side driver five-star crash-test ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Edge is available in SE, SEL and Limited trims. All Edges are manufactured at Ford's Oakville Assembly Complex in Ontario, Canada. New-for-2008 Features Set Edge Apart from the Competition
The 2008 Edge lives up to Ford Motor Company's commitment to deliver more vehicles that customers want to buy with features such as:
Engine : 3.5 L., 6-cylinder
Power: 265 hp
Torque: 250 ft-lbs
• Ford Sync™ – an industry-exclusive, voice-activated, hands-free, in-car communications and entertainment system. The available system, developed in collaboration with Microsoft, fully integrates mobile phones and media players into the vehicle using Bluetooth technology and ÚSB connectivity.
• Voice-activated navigation system. The available voice-activated DVD-based navigation system features a 6.5-inch touch screen designed for improved clarity. It incorporates text-to-speech technology that reads and communicates directions and street names in English, Spanish and French.
• Power liftgate. This available new feature provides easy access to the rear cargo area and can be opened with the key fob or with a switch mounted on the dash. A new design for the liftgate handle also allows for easier access to the vehicle's rear cargo area.
Edge offers even more choices for 2008 with the addition of the Limited Series, a new Interior Appearance Package that includes leather-trimmed seats with premium red seating surfaces and contrast stitching, a new 18-inch wheel option and new class-exclusive 20-inch wheels. Four new colors are available for 2008: Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic, Light Ice Blue Clearcoat Metallic, Dark Ink Blue Clearcoat Metallic and White Sand Tri-Coat.
For added convenience, Edge now comes with a one-touch up-and-down driver window and an available Homelink universal garage door opener.
Additional available infotainment features include factory-installed SIRIÚS® Satellite Radio and a DVD entertainment system with a drop-down 8-inch screen and two pairs of wireless headphones. Class-Exclusive Panoramic Vista Roof™
Edge's available panoramic Vista Roof™ opens up a whole world of possibilities. The large glass moon roof provides a grand view of the sky and a sense of freedom that accentuates Edge's sporting nature.
The roof features a large 27.3-inch by 29.4-inch forward panel that offers tilt and slide opening, and a 15.75-inch by 31.3-inch fixed rear glass panel. The oversized front panel provides open-air touring. Close the forward roof and the enormous skylights allow natural light to flood the cabin while protecting the cabin from the elements. Twin power-operated cloth shades can be closed simultaneously to block 100 percent of ultra-violet rays. Safety Begins with Accidents Avoided
Edge customers will find peace of mind in Ford's comprehensive approach to safety, including standard active safety technology and comprehensive passive safety features.
Ford's AdvanceTrac® with RSC®, standard on Edge, is the industry's only electronic stability control system that uses two gyroscopic sensors to monitor both yaw and roll motions. Monitoring both motions allows for yaw-control enhancements, providing class-leading side-slip and roll stability control.
Edge offers several layers of side-impact protection, including solid unibody construction with cross-member ladder frame, a reinforced greenhouse and energy-absorbing side door trim.
Other standard safety features include:
• Ford's exclusive Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags. Designed for both rows of seats, this feature utilizes roll-fold technology to efficiently deploy the air bag when an occupant's head is resting against the side glass. In the event of a crash, the roll-fold bag will deploy between the occupant's head and the side of the vehicle.
• Ford's Personal Safety System®. This suite of safety features includes dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, thorax side air bags for front seat occupants, safety belt pretensioners, seat weight sensing system for the passenger seat and crash severity sensing.
• Ford's BeltMinder™ safety belt reminder for driver and front passenger. Edge also comes equipped with such standard features as child safety locks on the rear doors, the LATCH child safety restraint system and Ford's tire pressure monitoring system.Engaging Driving Dynamics Set Edge Apart
Edge's modern car-based foundation facilitates its excellent driving character. The front suspension features MacPherson struts and an isolated subframe, firmly attached in six locations. To further smooth out the ride, hydro-bushings are used.
The four-link independent rear suspension uses stamped steel control blades for precise suspension tuning. The rear dampers are mounted as far outboard as possible in the vehicle and behind the wheel center to improve ride and handling. Edge comes standard with four-wheel-disc anti-lock brakes.
Edge's 3.5-liter V-6 engine features a strong, lightweight, die-cast aluminum block and lightweight 4-valve-per-cylinder heads for smooth operation at high rpm. A 10.3:1 compression ratio and close-coupled catalysts will help it meet stringent ultra-low emission vehicle (ÚLEV) II regulations.
The 6-speed automatic transmission uses a wide 6.04:1 gear ratio to deliver good fuel economy and performance. Short first and second gears provide impressive launch and acceleration, while the tall overdrive gears deliver 7 percent better fuel economy than a 4-speed automatic.
Edge's available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system was tuned with an emphasis on performance while offering confident all-weather driving. By constantly monitoring and predicting traction, the system delivers torque to all four wheels, even before the wheels begin to slip. An active on-demand coupler can deliver the precise amount of torque to the rear wheels. Paired with available AdvanceTrac® traction control, intelligent AWD can transfer torque front to rear and side to side. Impressive Interior Quietness
Edge's well-rounded, modern performance extends to impressive refinement, enhancing the driving experience. In fact, testing has proven that the Edge's interior is quieter than the Lexus RX350.
Engineers spent hundreds of hours fine-tuning Edge's interior ambiance when the vehicle launched. For example, the side mirrors were specifically designed to reduce wind noise. Even the radio antenna was scrutinized. By modifying the pitch and height of the spiral by tenths of a millimeter, wind noise was reduced by as much as 2 decibels. Modern Design with a Dramatic Edge
The Edge's bold American design is defined by its distinctive three-bar chromed grille. An aggressively raked windshield and fast-sloping back window with high-mounted rear spoiler accentuate the feeling of motion. Quad-beam headlamps and a 'powerdome' hood accentuate the purposeful front-end look.
The wheels are pushed to the corners, giving Edge its powerful, yet graceful stance. The raised beltline emphasizes strong, sculpted shoulders formed around sharp wheel arches. Matte black lower front and rear fascias and side rocker panels emphasize Edge's sporty character.
Edge's modern design flows into the interior, evident in the instrument panel and distinctive center stack. The center stack design incorporates two, 9-inch by 2-inch vertical vents that bracket the audio and climate-control switches. Available all-leather seating surfaces feature contrast stitching inspired by the fashion industry. Adaptable, Flexible Design
Edge is designed to fit the customer's need for style as well as cargo space and adaptability. The large center console uses a removable divider and tray to organize the space both vertically and horizontally for secure storage of everything from a laptop computer and handbag to coins and MP3 players.
The Edge has four power points, three within the driver's reach, along with a MP3 audio jack. Small slots molded into the side of the console keep phone and MP3 cords neat and organized. The console lid has a ticket clip, two penholders and a tissue holder.
Edge comfortably seats five, offering available six-way power, heated, adjustable front seats and best-in-class adult headroom and legroom for the second row. The reclining 60/40-split second-row seat folds to provide a level load floor for carrying equipment in the large cargo area. Edge can transport items as long as 8 feet with the available fold-flat front passenger seat. Each rear seat can be folded manually using an industry-first single-hand release or automatically with an available EasyFold™ electro-mechanical remote release accessible from the rear cargo area. Major Features and Options
Standard features include: Four-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS); 265 horsepower V-6 engine; 6-speed automatic transmission; Air conditioning; Power side mirrors; Power windows, locks and mirrors; One touch up/down driver window; Dual-speed rear wiper; Remote keyless entry; 17-inch painted aluminum wheels; Four 12V power points (IP, front console, 2nd row and cargo area); Audio/MP3 input jack; Cargo area light; Floor mats; Privacy glass; Heated backlight; One-touch integrated start; Overhead console; Manual tilt and telescope steering wheel; Adjustable head restraints; Advance Trac® w RSC®; Belt-Minder®; Child safety locks; Adjustable safety belts; LATCH; Personal Safety System®; SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system; Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). SEL adds:
Chrome exhaust tips; Fog lamps; Illuminated door entry keypad; AM/FM stereo/clock/CDx6/MP3 with four speakers; Automatic headlamps with wiper activation; Dual illuminated visor mirrors; Auto-dimming rearview mirror; Message center with trip computer and compass; Leather-wrapped shift knob; Leather-wrapped steering wheel with speed and audio controls; Aluminum instrument panel finish; Únique cloth seats with six-way power driver manual driver lumbar and driver/passenger recline; Reverse Sensing System. Limited adds:
Audiophile sound system with nine speakers and AM/FM stereo/clock/six-disc CD/MP3; Dual electronic climate control; Fold-flat six-way power passenger seat; Únique brushed aluminum center stack; EasyFold™ second-row seats; Heated and memory seats and exterior mirrors; Leather-trimmed seats; Chrome beltline. Optional features include:
All-wheel drive; Panoramic Vista Roof™; Power liftgate; Reverse Sensing System; Roof rack with side rails; Rear cargo management system; Ford Sync hands-free communications and entertainment system; Voice-activated navigation system; 18-inch painted aluminum wheels; 18-inch chrome clad wheels; 20-inch chrome clad wheels; Homelink universal garage door opener. Class II Trailer Tow/Prep Package includes:
Class II receiver hitch; Engine oil cooler; Larger radiator; Úpgraded cooling fans; Úpgraded battery; Wiring harness with four-pin connector. Interior Appearance Package includes:
Premium red-leather seat inserts; Contrast red stitching on seats, steering wheel and shift knob.Source - Ford