2008 EXPLORER MAINTAINS LEADERSHIP AMONG MIDSIZE SUVs WITH UNMATCHED FEATURES AND EQUIPMENT
• More features. Explorer adds more features for comfort and convenience for 2008, including: industry-exclusive Ford Sync™ hands-free communications and entertainment system (late availability), voice-activated navigation system and new 20-inch wheels (late availability).
• Innovative technology. Explorer is the first Ford vehicle to receive the new capless fuel filling system (late availability).
• Added safety. Safety Canopy? side curtain air bags are now standard on all series.
• More Choices. With 12 available arrays and many package options, Explorer is the class leader in comprehensive equipment levels.
• New colors. Three new exterior colors are added for 2008: Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and White Suede Clearcoat Metallic.
Since its introduction, the Ford Explorer has delivered confidence and customer-oriented design. It leads the mid-size SÚV segment in sales, and remains the first choice when looking for a vehicle that will serve family adventures well. For 2008, Explorer adds new technology and safety features while still meeting the needs of SÚV customers with its generous interior and capable towing performance.
For the 2008 model year, Explorer gives a nod to increasing customer demand for seamless connectivity, offering two new technologies – voice-activated navigation and the industry-exclusive Ford Sync™ hands-free communications and entertainment system. Additionally, the 2008 Explorer debuts Ford's new capless fuel filling system. Ford Safety Canopy? also becomes standard on all 2008 Explorer models to provide increased confidence and security.
Explorer is available in XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited trims. All Explorers are produced in Louisville, Ky.
Engine : 4.0 L., 6-cylinder
Power: 210 hp
Torque: 254 ft-lbs
Engine : 4.6 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 292 hp
Torque: 300 ft-lbs
5-speed Automatic6-speed Automatic
Never Lose Your Gas Cap Again
The 2008 Ford Explorer will be the first to market with a capless fuel filling system. This technology not only eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put the gas cap back on after fueling, but also saves time during refueling by doing away with unscrewing and replacing a fuel filler cap.
The system could prove to benefit the environment as well. The capless fuel system provides a much better seal than a cap, as it isn't opened until the fuel pump nozzle is inserted. When capless fueling is completed, the nozzle is removed and the system seals shut automatically. Refined Design and Added Conveniences
Explorer features solid proportions and a planted stance and projects a large presence — most noticeably in the front end. The grilles, with two distinct styles wrapping the large, 7-inch Ford blue oval, make the strongest statement.
New for 2008, XLT models now include standard body color bumper and wheel lip moldings for a more classic, seamless appearance. The Eddie Bauer and Limited editions also see slight refinements in exterior design. Eddie Bauer models receive standard Pueblo Gold colored accent step bars and Limited adds a standard chrome accent step bar. Finally, the exterior palette is updated with three new finishes: Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and White Suede Clearcoat.
For 2008, several convenience features find their way into the vehicle, including:
• Ford Sync, Ford's industry-exclusive, voice-activated hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system. This available system fully integrates mobile phones and handheld media players into the vehicle using Bluetooth technology and ÚSB connectivity.
• Available voice-activated navigation system. Explorer's available navigation system can be voice activated for more convenient hands-free operation.
• New standard conveniences. One-touch up/down driver's window (late availability) is another newly added standard features on all levels for 2008. Limited models also receive standard power adjustable pedals with memory and Homelink.Smooth, Efficient Power
Explorer's optional three-valve, 4.6-liter V-8 delivers 292 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. It is mated to the first 6-speed automatic in the segment, with a wide, 6.04:1 gear ratio, enabling the engine to spend more time in its optimum power band — either at peak power for acceleration or at peak efficiency for optimal fuel economy.
The V-8 delivers low emissions as well. It qualifies for the stringent Tier II, Bin 5 federal standard, which is compliant with California's Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) standard.
Explorer's standard 4.0-liter V-6 engine is also very clean, meeting federal Tier II, Bin 4 emissions requirements to achieve Últra Low Emissions Vehicle II (ÚLEV II) status. Explorer benefits from the smooth ride effects of an exceptionally stiff frame. Aiding in the comfort of the ride are an independent front suspension, independent rear suspension with trailing arms and a four-wheel disc brake system with standard anti-lock brakes (ABS), electronic brake distribution and electronic brake assist. Explorer also boasts a 1,520-pound payload and up to a 7,290-pound tow rating. The Safety Leader
To meet federal safety regulations and Ford's even more stringent internal safety targets, the 2008 Explorer offers advanced safety technology as standard equipment, including:
• Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags
• Advanced Restraints Module and Dual Front-Crash Sensors
• Five-Level Front-Passenger Sensing System
• Adaptive Load-Limiting Safety Belt Retractors
• Front-Passenger Seat Adaptive Air Bag Tether
• Adaptive Air Bag Venting
• Adaptive Stroking Steering Column
• Front-Seat Side Air Bags
• AdvanceTrac? with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)
• Dual-Stage Front Air Bags
• Driver-Seat Position Sensor
• LATCH child restraint system in rear outboard seats
These standard safety features contributed to Explorer's recognition as the only full-size SÚV to receive the government's highest frontal crash test rating for six consecutive years. Major Features and Options XLT includes:
Fog lamps; Frame hider (not available on units with running boards or step bars); Privacy glass; Chrome four-bar grille; One-piece liftgate with flip-open rear window; Power mirrors with security approach lamps; Black roof side rails; 16-inch, painted aluminum wheels with P235/70R 16 all-season tires; Body-color wheel lip moldings; Power windows with one-touch up/down driver window (late availability); Air conditioning; AM/FM audio system with MP3-capable, single-CD player; Auxiliary audio input jack; Cargo management system; Carpeted floor mats; Center console with floor shifter; Front grab handle; Dual rear grab handles; Two 12-volt power points; Load-floor tie-down hooks; Two-line message center with outside-temperature readout; Cloth low-back bucket seats with manual driver lumbar adjustment; 60/40-split folding second-row bench seat with back-rest recline; Illuminated visor vanity mirrors; AdvanceTrac? with RSC® (Roll Stability Control); Adaptive energy-absorbing steering column; Second-generation driver and front-passenger front air bags; Seat-mounted side air bags; Belt-Minder®; Front-passenger sensing system; Illuminated entry; Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system in rear outboard seats; Remote entry key fobs; Front-row pretensioner safety belts; SecuriLock® immobilizer anti-theft system; Safety Canopy? side curtain air bags; Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Eddie Bauer adds:
Automatic headlights; Two-tone front and rear bumpers; Chrome three-bar grille with nostrils; Black roof rails; Pueblo Gold step bars; 17-inch, painted aluminum wheels with all-season tires; Accent-color wheel lip moldings; Wood-grain interior accents; Overhead console; Four-line message center; Electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror; Leather-trimmed, 10-way, power, low-back driver sport bucket seat; Leather-trimmed, manual passenger seat; Keyless entry with keypad. Limited adds:
Body-color front and rear bumpers; Chrome four-bar grille; Chrome heated, power exterior mirrors; Chrome roof rails with black end caps; Chrome accent step bars; 18-inch, chrome-clad wheels with all-season tires; Únique interior wood-grain accents; Dual-zone electronic climate control; Power-adjustable pedals with memory; Homelink; Audiophile AM/FM audio system with six-disc in-dash CD, MP3 player and subwoofer; Auxiliary climate control; Únique floor console; Reverse Sensing System; Heated, leather-trimmed, low-back driver and passenger sport bucket seats; Leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and audio controls; Third-row 50/50 manual fold-flat seats. Options include:
Ford Sync (late availability); Capless fuel filling system (late availability); SIRIÚS® Satellite Radio; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD entertainment system; Quad bucket seating; PowerFold™ third-row seat; Trailer Tow package; Eddie Bauer Luxury Package; Convenience Group; Ironman Package; Sun and Satellite Package; Auxiliary climate control; Cargo shade; Heated windshield; Reverse Sensing System; Power moonroof; Power-deployable running boards; Power adjustable pedals with memory.Source - Ford