GLASS ROOF MUSTANG SHINES LIGHT ON 45TH ANNIVERSARY OF FORD'S ICONIC MUSCLE CAR
• Roof options: Segment-first, factory-installed glass roof option now available on both the V-6 and GT models.
• Added extras: The 'Premium' array now includes ambient lighting, satin aluminum instrument panel trim, interior upgrades and SIRIÚS® Satellite Radio.
• Style selections: 'Bullitt' and 'Warriors in Pink' packages continue in 2009.
Ford Mustang, the country's best-selling sports car for 22 consecutive years and one of the auto industry's most successful nameplates ever, celebrates its 45th anniversary with a new panoramic glass roof option that opens the world to pony-car enthusiasts from Maine to Maui and all points between. The segment first, factory-installed glass roof is available as a $1,995 option on Mustang V-6 and GT models.
'Our new panoramic glass roof will allow owners to enjoy the outdoors year-round from the comfort of their Mustang,' said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president for Global Product Development. 'It's one more feature that sets Mustang apart from the competition.'Three Roof Choices - Top That!
The glass roof joins the coupe and convertible to give Mustang customers three roof choices. It also addresses the fact that 62 percent of buyers in the sports car segment are interested in a sunroof or moonroof on their next vehicle, according to J.D. Power and Associates research. Mustang's new roof allows customers to let the sun shine in for half the price of moving up from a coupe to a convertible.
While allowing occupants an unrestricted view of the world above and around them, the special tinted, reflective glass reduces energy used by the vehicle's air conditioning system by 20 percent and also protects the interior fabric from fading and deteriorating. A manually operated roller blind allows owners to block the light on bright days.
Noise, vibration and harshness are controlled in the cabin with a layer of sound absorbent vinyl sandwiched within the special glass.
The glass-roof Mustang is built like the coupe and has been developed to maintain the structural integrity of the car.
'We want to offer this feature to customers while maintaining the quality and safety of the vehicle that we've been recognized externally for,' said Paul Randle, Mustang chief engineer.More Standard Equipment
For 2009, Ford has also added more standard equipment to the popular 'Premium' arrays offered on both the Mustang V-6 and GT, including SIRIÚS® Satellite Radio, ambient lighting, satin aluminum instrument panel trim and upgraded interior trim.
A new, optional GT Security Package includes an active anti-theft system and wheel locking kit and Brilliant Silver clearcoat metallic joins the list of available Mustang exterior colors.
The Mustang V-6 coupe and convertible are equipped with a 210-horsepower, 4.0-liter SOHC 6-cylinder engine that is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission or an optional 5-speed automatic. The Mustang GT coupe and convertible are powered by a 300-horsepower, 4.6-liter 3V V-8 engine. The standard gearbox is 5-speed manual, with an available 5-speed automatic.
Other highlights include:
• Standard front-seat side air bags; dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags; safety-belt pretensioners; passenger seat sensing; crash severity sensing.
• Available High Intensity Discharge headlamps.
• 18-inch wheel offering on V-6 coupe.
• Available customizable instrument panel allowing mix-and-match lighting at the touch of a button. Warriors in Pink
The 2009 model year also marks the return of the 'Warriors in Pink' package, which was designed to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Ford doubled its contributions this year to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure to $500 for each 'Warriors in Pink' Mustang sold.
Available on the Mustang V-6 'Premium' coupe and convertible models, the 'Warriors in Pink' package adds a pink ribbon and pony fender badge, pink Mustang rocker tape striping, charcoal leather trimmed seats with pink stitching, an aluminum-spoke steering wheel with pink stitching and charcoal floormats with pink ribbon and contrast stitching. Three body colors will be available: black, metallic silver and performance white.
The development of the 'Warriors in Pink' package took on a special meaning for the entire Mustang Team as they watched one of their own battle breast cancer and survive. Mustang program manager Jackie Marshall DiMarco was diagnosed with breast cancer while working on the special model.
'Being on Team Mustang is a special experience because we are all enthusiasts at heart. And I was thrilled to be part of the Warriors in Pink project knowing that we would be contributing to the Cure,' said DiMarco. 'The shock of my own diagnosis while working on this project highlighted to me how any of us can be affected when we least expect it, and how important it is to work together to heighten awareness, support the courageous women fighting the disease, and ultimately find the Cure.
'I am blessed to be a survivor while so many are still being lost each year to breast cancer and I am proud to work for a company that is committed to my survival,' she added.Onboard with Bullitt
One of the most memorable modern sports cars - the Mustang Bullitt™ - returns to the stable for 2009.
Inspired by the 1968 film of the same name that featured one of the most memorable car chase scenes in cinematic history, the 2009 Mustang Bullitt™ is powered by a 4.6-liter V-8 with 315 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. Both the engine and suspension are modified with Ford Racing Technology to make one of the best-sounding, best-handling Mustangs ever. The 2008-model Bullitt, introduced as a limited run of 7,700 units, continues as a 2009 model due to customer demand. An additional run of 3,000 units is planned.
Following are highlights and specifications for the 2009 Mustang Bullitt: Exterior
• Highland Green (unique to Bullitt) or black exterior paint
• Modified 18-inch micro-machined Euro-flange Bullitt wheels.
• Dark gray painted calipers
• Modified badging with unique satin finish and Bullitt nomenclature
• Únique 3.5-inch stainless steel packed exhaust tips Interior
• Únique aluminum I/P finish panels with unique gunmetal engine turn pattern
• Aluminum accents throughout including an aluminum shifter ball unique to Bullitt
• Revised cluster with 'gun sight' graphics and unique font
• Shelby GT500-style front seats
• Shelby GT500-style steering wheel with Bullitt logo
• Únique aluminum door scuff plate with Bullitt logo
• Serialization plate on strut tower brace Powertrain
• 4.6-liter, 3-valve SOHC V-8
• Tremec TR-3650 5-speed manual transmission
• Signature Bullitt exhaust sound
• New open-element cold air induction system & hood blanket with AIS seal
• High performance calibration
• Dual knock strategy enabling the vehicle to run on either regular unleaded or premium (for improved performance)
• Crisper throttle response
• Revised cam timing at peak power
• Redline at 6500 RPM
• 3.73:1 axle ratio Chassis
Engine : 4.0 L., 6-cylinder
Power: 210 hp
Torque: 240 ft-lbs
Engine : 4.6 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 300 hp
Torque: 320 ft-lbs
• Únique strut tower brace
• Únique shock and strut tuning
• Rear spring change that lowers vehicle ride height
• Carbon metallic front brake pads for improved performance
The seats in Bullitt, and in all 2009 Mustangs, are made with foam comprised of 5 percent soy-derived materials in place of petroleum-based products. Earlier this year, Ford announced plans to push that figure to 40 percent in the near future for foam used in seats and head rests.
The 2009 Mustang, including Bullitt and Warriors in Pink models, will be built at AutoAlliance International in Flat Rock, Mich. All 2008 Mustangs earned the government's highest five star frontal crash test ratings. The Mustang convertible stands alone as the only sports car and the only convertible ever to earn five star safety ratings in all five test categories under the government's New Car Assessment Program.Source - Ford