After World War II, Jaguar resumed production basically with updated pre-war models, though no longer were the original SS Jaguar (short for Swallow Sidecar Company) badges used. Instead, the cars now were simply Jaguars. The Jaguar Mark IV was in production from 1945 until 1948, with fewer than 700 convertibles, compared to more than 11,000 sedans, made in the period. This 1947 Jaguar Mark IV drophead coupe was restored in 2007 by Mike Wilson and already has won awards as the 'most elegant' European car.
Sold for $90,750 at 2012 RM Auctions at Amelia Island, Fla. This Jaguar Mark IV Saloon is finished in grey with an olive green leather interior and black wire wheels. It has been given a show-quality restoration which reportedly cost in excess of $150,000. Power is from a 1776cc overhead valve four-cylinder engine offering 65 horsepower and mated to a Moss four-speed manual gearbox. There are Girling four-wheel mechanical drum brakes and a wheelbase that measures 112.6 inches. In July of 2011 this Mk IV Saloon won a First in Class at the Lake Forest Antique Auto Show. In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $60,000 - $80,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $90,750 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
High bid of $58,000 at 2007 Palm Springs Exotic Car Auctions - February 23-25, 2007. (did not sell) Jaguar production was revived in the post-World War II era - in late 1945 - by company founder William Lyons. The cars that immediately followed carried styling from the pre-War vehicles (1937-39 styling). They had swoopy close-coupled bodywork, with flowing fender lines and a traditional upright radiator grille flanked by large headlamps. They rode on wire wheels and would be produced through 1948, at which point a new design was introduced - the Mark V series. This Mark IV saloon has a two-tone color scheme of red-and-cream with a red leather interior with wood instrument board and interior garnishments. It has all-steel body construction, a 1775cc inline four-cylinder engine, and a four-speed manual transmission. This is a rare 'S' model which has the Harry Weslake-designed high-output overhead valve cylinder head, sunroof and heater. The car has had just four owners since new and has covered only 56,000 miles. The original owner was Lt. Anderson, an American medical officer stationed at the time in the United Kingdom. The next owner was the wife of a Los Angeles movie producer. The car later passed to a Seattle collector, from whom the current owner obtained it in 2003. In 2006 it was given a complete body-off restoration. It has its original tool tray and European-style 'Trafficator' turn signals. It has been submitted for Jaguar Club of North America (JCNA) judging several times, and has averaged 99.8 points.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge Sale in Carmel, CA presented by Bonhams Auction. The car was estimated to sell for $45,000 - $55,000 but was unable to find a buyer willing to satisfy its reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.
In 1947, Jaguar did not produce cabriolets. So the Swiss importer, Emil Frey, ordered chassis number 510455. It was delivered to Carrosserie Worblaufen (Fritz Ramseier & Cie) near Berne, Switzerland for fitment of a special Cabriolet body. The car's specifications are exactly as you it wears today. It was finished in black, with a tan 'amerikanisch' top over a tan leather interior, supplied by Gimmel, A.G. It is believed to be the first post-war coach built open Jaguar made.The car was initially sold to Mr. Paul Ruepp, of Bremgarten, Switzerland and remained with his family. It was used extensively and placed into storage in 1989. The current owner found the car in a barn in Switzerland and purchased it in 2007. An extensive restoration was completed in 2010. The car has been shown in Europe and more importantly is driven regularly in events and in rallies.
During the 1940's Jaguar produced vehicles known as 'Litre' cars such as the 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 Litre models. They were powered by engines designed by the Standard Motor Company. The 1.5 Litre engine was supplied by Standard but the larger variants were produced by Jagauar. Production of the 1.5 Litre car lasted from 1935 through 1949. Horsepower varied over the years as did other various specifications. A four-speed manual gearbox sent power from the four-cylinder engine to the rear wheels. Top speed was over 100 km/h and believed to have been around 115 km/h. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2007
Pronounced Mark Four, the Jaguar Mark IV was a saloon vehicle built by Jaguar from 1945 through 1945, and was a re-launch of a pre WWII model produced by SS Car Ltd from 1936.The company was renamed Jaguar Cars Ltd. after the war. The nomenclature ‘Mark IV' was applied by the trade to simply differentiate it from the officially named Mark V. The Saloons were named SS Jaguar 1 ½ litre, 2 ½ liter or 3 ½ liter. The little two seater sports vehicle was called the SS Jaguar 100 2 ½ liter or 3 ½ liter. Never officially designated, the Jaguar MK IV was the nomenclature set aside for the range of immediately post-war saloons. The name Jaguar has always been synonymous with luxury, prestige and extravagance. Jaguar's first postwar model, the three-position drophead coupe was distinctive, captivating and extravagant. Extremely rare today, the MK IV was an extremely desirable vehicle and one of the few postwar cars that is considered a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America. Introduced in 1945, the MK IV was visibly recognized by its classic lines and rugged simplicity. The outside of the car was marked by a long hood, large freestanding headlamps, a narrow, close-coupled body, flowing separate font fenders and an upright radiator capped by the Jaguar mascot. The interior featured high-quality furnishings that included a traditional British wood dash with large, easily readable marked dials. Jaguar's first cars after WWII were essentially continuations of the 1938-39 models. The Jaguar Mark IV 1.5 liter model rode a six-inch shorter wheelbase and featured a four cylinder rather than a six-cylinder engine. The 1.5 liter's top speed was around 70 mph while the 3.5 liter could achieve more than 90 mph.
A total of 5,761 1.5 liter Jaguar Mark IV's were produced, 1,861 2.5 liters and 4,420 of the 3.5 liter models. The Mark IV featured a wheelbase of 112.5 inches, an overall length of 173.0 inches, and had a weight of 2,970 lbs.
For the first time in 64 years the first Cadillac to wear the name Coupe de Ville will make a public appearance. The site for this historic re-debut is the 18th annual Amelia Island Concours dElegance...