1954 EMW Type 327/3A
fter the Second World War, production of BMWs began with the 321. Nearly four-thousand examples would be produced from 1945 through 1950. The 326 was produced from 1946 through 1947 with only a few examples created. The 325 was produced in slightly higher quantities with 161 examples created in 1952.
The East Germans sold a sports car under the name 'EMW' or Eisenacher Motorenwerk. The mechanical aspects and engineering was based on the BMW 327 and 328 models. The logo was also based on the BMW logo. BMW 327
In 1936, BMW (Bavarian Motor Works) introduced the Type 328. The vehicle was stylish and aerodynamic. The design of the vehicle, courtesy of Fritz Fiedler, provided excellent handling and the inline-six cylinder engine produced excellent performance. The engine featured a cast iron block and dual overhead valves per cylinder bank. The total output was around 80 horsepower. The engine was placed in the front and provided power to the rear wheels. The body panels were constructed of a light-weight alloy. The chassis was comprised of a tubular space frame construction.
As was sometimes the custom with many early European vehicles, the coachwork was handled by a custom coachbuilder. Examples exist where the famous Figoni et Falaschi Carrosserie of Paris, France outfitted the vehicle with exquisit designs.
The vehicle was very successful on the racing circuit winning such races as a class win at the Mille Miglia in 1938. In 1940 it was first in class and first overall. At the 1939 Le Mans 24 Hour race it place fifth overall and first in class. A 328 won the RAC Rally in 1939.by Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2008
Chassis Num: 88144
The BMW Type 327 was the Grand Touring version of their road-going and sporty 328. The 328 was actively campaigned in various racing events such as rallying, time trials, and sports car racing. In 1940 a Type 328 won the Mille Miglia. ....[continue reading]