THE NEW MINI CONVERTIBLE
* The next-generation model of the celebrated four-seat convertible which achieves some 164,000 in worldwide sales. The new MINI Convertible embodies the thrill of open-air motoring in unmistakably MINI style. Raising the high standard set by its predecessor, the new MINI Convertible features improvements in the areas of design, quality, handling, performance, efficiency, and functionality.
* Evolutionary development of the car's design: The two-door body style and soft-top roof deliver unique proportions, sleek lines, and truly individual style. Design cues clearly link the new convertible to the MINI family of vehicles.
* Refined overall appearance highlighting the stretched silhouette and ensuring enhanced presence from both front and rear. Expertly modeled body surfaces, low-roofline for roadster-like flair, concealed rollover protection bar. Signature MINI headlamps and taillights. Four-pivot joints for the luggage compartment top are mounted inside the car to ensure a harmonious and sleek appearance.
* Electrohydraulic-powered roof with the sliding roof function comes standard, and allows the driver to open and close the soft top while the car is in motion up to 20 mph. The standard Openometer feature records the time spent travelling with the roof down. A wider range of paint colors, roof colors, wheels, and upholstery and interior trim choices provide endless opportunities for personalization. Also, model-specific optional extras and special equipment are available.
* Newly developed, electromechanically operated rollover bar situated behind the rear seats, is activated by the car's central safety electronics in the event of a rollover. The innovative safety bar allows for optimum visibility to the rear and sides of the car. An optional loading storage between the luggage and passenger compartments expands the cargo space.
* The flexible storage system delivers outstanding functionality. The easy-load system includes: an expanded luggage compartment opening, rear seat backrests that can be folded down and locked into position, and a pivoting, two-position shelf for packages.
* New generation of four-cylinder gasoline engines with Twin-Scroll turbochargers or fully variable valve management. Engine capacity 1,598 cc, max output 118 hp (MINI Cooper Convertible) and 172 hp (MINI Cooper S Convertible). Both engine variants are equipped with a number of technical features that maximize fuel economy and minimize emissions.
* MINI's signature front-wheel drive, go-kart-like handling with refined suspension technology tuned specifically to the MINI Convertible. Electromechanical Power Steering (EPS). Brake system with anti-lock brakes (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and Brake Assistant, as well as Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Start-Off Assistant are all standard features. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with Electronically Differential Lock Control (EDLC) feature on the drive wheels enhances traction under acceleration, and is available as an option or as part of the Sport Package.
Engine : 1.6 L., 4-cylinder
Torque: 114 ft-lbs
* Crash-optimized body structure with newly conceived floorpan and reinforced A-pillars and side-sills. Body stiffness further improved over the former model, with a reduction in vehicle weight by 22 lb. Three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, with belt latch tensioners and belt force limiters at the front, frontal airbags, head/thorax airbags at the side integrated in the seat backrest, rollover sensor masterminding the rollover safety system, airbags and belt latch tensioners with for optimized functionality. Run-flat tires and Tire Pressure Monitor.
* MINI Cooper S Convertible:
Four-cylinder gasoline engine with Twin-Scroll turbocharger and
direct fuel injection.
Capacity: 1,598 cc, max output: 172 hp at 5,500 rpm.
Max torque: 177 lb-ft from 1,600–5,000 rpm
(192 lb-ft with Overboost).
Acceleration 0–60mph: 7.0 sec Manual, 7.2 Automatic, Top speed: 138 mph Manual, 135 mph Automatic.
* MINI Cooper Convertible:
Four-cylinder gasoline engine with VALVETRONIC technology.
Capacity: 1,598 cc, max output: 118 hp at 6,000 rpm.
Max torque: 114 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm.
Acceleration (0–60 mph): 8.9 sec Manual, 10.2 Automatic, Top speed: 124 mph Manual, 119 mph Automatic.
The new MINI Convertible.
The driving pleasure and individual style that are MINI's signatures have been tapped to create the next-generation MINI Convertible. With its evolutionary design and increased functionality, specially tuned suspension, powerful, efficient engines and enhanced safety technology, the latest version of the four-seat convertible raises the bar.
New color choices and equipment features add up to endless options for personalization. The premium materials and finishes enhance the MINI Convertible – the only open-air car in its class – even further.
The new MINI Convertible will make its worldwide debut in January at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Orders for the MINI Convertible are being taken now; the price for the MINI Cooper Convertible is $24,550 and for the MINI Cooper S Convertible $27,450, including the $650 destination and handling charge. Delivery of the first MINI Convertibles will begin on March 28, 2009.
The new MINI Convertible's durable soft-top with integrated sliding roof function reliably protects driver and passengers from the elements when it is up. Allowing for spontaneous open-air motoring, the soft top lowers automatically in 15 seconds flat, even when the car is in motion up to 20 mph. The unique Openometer next to the tachometer challenges the driver to log as many top-down miles as possible by recording the hours spent open-air motoring.
The new MINI Convertible offers outstanding versatility with its Easy-Load Function, folding rear-seat backrests, and generously-sized loading between the luggage and passenger compartments, which increases the car's cargo space to 23.10 cu ft.
This level of versatility, unparalleled in the convertible segment is enabled by the innovative design and construction of the rollover protection bar. The new MINI Convertible comes with a single-piece rollover protection bar behind the rear seats that spans the entire interior width of the car, without obstructing the driver's visibility, and moves into position automatically in the event of a potential rollover.
The new MINI Convertible will be available in two engine variants. The MINI Cooper Convertible will come equipped with a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine featuring fully variable valve management for maximum output of 118 hp at 6,000 rpm. The performance-oriented MINI Cooper S Convertible will be powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine with a Twin-Scroll turbocharger and direct gasoline injection delivering 172 hp at an engine speed of 5,500 rpm.
Source - Mini
From the start, the MINI Cooper S Convertible and the MINI Cooper Convertible will be equipped with the six-speed manual gearbox featured as standard with optional six-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com) At the same time, the new MINI Convertible owes its nimble handling characteristics to suspension technology that has been significantly upgraded and improved over the former model. Its sophisticated wheel suspension, precise electromechanical power steering, powerful brake system and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) – all standard features – allow the MINI convertible to set a new standard for agility and safety.
MINI CONVERTIBLE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT NAIAS 2009
Electric MINI E shares center stage: Driving pleasure without emissions.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 9, 2009... MINI will introduce the next generation of its celebrated four-seat convertible at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Joining the 2009 MINI Convertibles on the show floor is the MINI E, the first electric car deployed by a manufacturer of premium automobiles for private use in daily traffic.
The new 2009 MINI Convertible embodies the thrill of open-air motoring in unmistakably MINI style. Raising the high standard set by its predecessor, the new MINI Convertible features improvements in design, quality, handling, performance, efficiency and functionality. The first MINI Convertibles will be delivered March 28, 2009.
Design cues clearly link the new convertible to the MINI family, while the evolutionary design maintains the appeal of the first generation.
A sliding roof allows the driver to automatically open and close the soft top while the car travels up to 20 miles per hour. The 'Openometer' records the time spent travelling with the roof down.
Central safety electronics activate a new electromechanically operated rollover bar in the event of a rollover. The innovative safety bar allows for optimum visibility to the rear and sides while the MINI avoids rollovers via run-flat tires, tire pressure monitoring and a sophisticated driving stability system.
An optional loading storage system between the luggage and passenger compartments expands cargo space. The easy-load system includes: an expanded luggage compartment opening, seat backrests that can be folded down and locked into position, and a pivoting, two-position shelf for packages.
A new generation of four-cylinder gasoline engines feature 1.6-liter engines. The MINI Cooper Convertible produces 118 horsepower from its naturally aspirated version with variable valve management; the MINI Cooper S Convertible delivers 172 hp with the help of a Twin-Scroll turbocharger and direct fuel injection. Both engine variants are equipped with technical features that maximize fuel economy and minimize emissions.
The suggested retail price for the MINI Cooper Convertible is $24,550, and for the MINI Cooper S Convertible, $27,450 including $650 destination and handling charge.MINI E: Agility without emissions
The MINI E provides the agility and handling of a MINI Cooper yet is powered by a 204 horsepower electric motor fed by a high-performance rechargeable lithium-ion battery capable of more than 150 miles. Power transfers to the front wheels via a single-stage helical gearbox nearly without a sound and entirely free of emissions.
The MINI E's electric drivetrain produces seamless acceleration to 62 mph in 8.5 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 95 mph. With a suspension designed particularly for the MINI E and an even weight distribution, the MINI E offers the spirited driving pleasure of a true MINI.
During the first quarter of this year, the MINI E will become available to select private and corporate customers as part of a pilot project in California, New York and New Jersey. By introducing the MINI E, the BMW Group is underscoring its resolve to reduce energy consumption and emissions. Putting some 500 cars on the road under real daily traffic conditions will give BMW Group valuable know-how, which will be factored into the engineering of mass-produced vehicles. The BMW Group aims to start series production of all-electric vehicles over the medium term.
Based on the current MINI, the car will initially be available as a two-seater. The back-seat space is reserved for the lithium-ion battery. It can be plugged into all standard power outlets. Its charge time is strongly dependent on the voltage and amperage of the electricity flowing through the grid. In the ÚSA, users can recharge a battery that has been completely drained within a very short period of time using a wall box that will be installed in the customer's garage to enable higher amperage. Wall boxes fully recharge batteries after a mere two-and-a-half hours.
MINI E customers will join forces with BMW Group experts to assist in the project's scientific evaluation. The cars will change hands based on a one-year lease with an extension option. Monthly lease installments will cover any required technical service including all necessary maintenance and the replacement of wear parts. At the end of the lease, all of the automobiles belonging to the project will be returned to the BMW Group's engineering fleet where they will be subjected to comparative tests. MINI in the ÚS
Source - MINI
MINI is an independent brand of the BMW Group. In the Únited States, MINI ÚSA operates as a business unit of BMW of North America, LLC which has been present in the Únited States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the Únited States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksÚSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models, X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sports Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the Ú.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 83 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (ÚS) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.