Combo XC Product InformationAerodynamics
Combo's basic shape comes close to the ideal droplet flow pattern. With the help of computer simulations and wind tunnel testing, aerodynamicists optimised the design to achieve a drag co-efficient of 0.35. The resultant low wind resistance benefits fuel consumption and safety is improved via optimised lift and downforce behaviour and crosswind stability.Aerodynamic detailing includes:
• A flexible front lip beneath the bumper and a spoiler action rear wheel arch trim improve airflow around front and rear axles.
• Spoiler lips integrated into the rear lights and upper tailgate create optimal airflow in this area.
• A-pillar trim shape prevents rainwater flowing from the windscreen to side windows and reduces wind noise.
• Engine hood is slightly raised at the rear to direct airflow over the wipers.
• The gap between large outside mirrors and the body is closed by a rubber lip, which effectively keeps dirt off the side windows
. Damage Control
Combo is designed to reduce off-road downtime in the event of an accident.
Its large unpainted bumpers can take parking knocks without suffering damage and their wrap-around corners also protect side panels. Side protection mouldings all round and plastic panels in the wheel arches further increase protection levels.
Crash boxes at the front and rear absorb crash energy and crumple in a pre-defined manner to protect the main frame structure. The front bumper crossmember, for example, consists of a rectangular aluminium section wîth four compartments aligned asymmetrically for optimum absorption of crash energy.
At the rear, a cross-rail made from a closed aluminium section is bolted to separate crash boxes made of high-strength steel. The complete structure is then bolted to the rear frame side rail – a sophisticated construction which avoids expensive damage to the vehicle structure, rear side walls and rear doors.
In many cases, bolt-on rather than welded connections simplify replacement of damaged parts. Hinges on the engine hood and rear doors are designed for easy removal and the new part can be positioned exactly for correct alignment.
In the case of more severe body damage, pre-defined separation areas allow less expensive sectional replacement. This applies to the frame as well as the body; a side member can be partially renewed and so can the three-part front end module and the rear sheetmetal side panels. The cable loom can also be replaced in separate sections.Selected Specifications
• Turning circle 10.65 metres
• Cargo volume 2.39 cubic metres
• Maximum payload 745 kg
• Leg room 1016mm
• Shoulder room 1344mm
• Head room 1214mm
• Kerb mass 1200kg
• European Sourcing
The Holden Combo is produced at GM affiliate Opel's Azambuja plant in Portugal, as was the previous model.Source - Holden